Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

How to determine program start/stop Address Range

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a C-Program that I Build using the Nios II IDE. 

Lets say the program executes in external SRAM. 

How do I determine where in memory the program starts and ends ? 

I have a requirement to test this external SRAM. 

That is, run a memory test on the memory range that is not 

used for program storage. How do I determine this address range(s)? 

Does the compiler have this info (start/end address...) that 

can be used at compile time? For example, in my memory test when 

I specify a start and end address for the memory test can this 

range be provided by the compiler?  

(would vary depending on my program size) 

Thanks, 

Jim
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Most of the info. you need can be found in an objdump file, which can be optionally generated by the IDE. (nios2-elf-objdump on the command line) 

You do, however, have to be wary of where you've decided to place the stack, heap, and exception address. 

There's a pretty decent description of how memory is managed (albeit in a Linux system) here (http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=173438). 

In general, what you'd like to do is not really possible unless you place the stack and heap in a separate memory or are darn sure that neither your stack nor your heap will "invade" the area that you're attempting to test. 

Cheers, 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by slacker@May 12 2006, 11:48 AM 

most of the info. you need can be found in an objdump file, which can be optionally generated by the ide. (nios2-elf-objdump on the command line) 

you do, however, have to be wary of where you've decided to place the stack, heap, and exception address. 

there's a pretty decent description of how memory is managed (albeit in a linux system) here (http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=173438). 

in general, what you'd like to do is not really possible unless you place the stack and heap in a separate memory or are darn sure that neither your stack nor your heap will "invade" the area that you're attempting to test. 

cheers, 

- slacker 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=15337) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Slacker, 

Thanks for the fast reply.  

Thats the info I was looking for. 

Jim
0 Kudos