Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Installing eCOS for Nios II IDE 6.0

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The installer fails, saying I _must_ have version 5.1. Yet the text is worded saying I should download the latest version (which I have, it's 6.0). 

Any plans to adjust the eCOS installation to support 6.0? 

I'd really rather not have to downgrade at this point, unless absolutely necessary. 

Thanks, 

-- therrien
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same problem !!! 

Does eCos exist for Nios 6.0 ? 

Alternatively, where can I find old Quartus/Nios 5.1 distribution ? 

Thanks, 

-- Fred 

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by therrien@May 12 2006, 07:14 PM 

the installer fails, saying i _must_ have version 5.1.  yet the text is worded saying i should download the latest version (which i have, it's 6.0). 

any plans to adjust the ecos installation to support 6.0? 

i'd really rather not have to downgrade at this point, unless absolutely necessary. 

thanks, 

-- therrien 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=15338) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found the same problem when I set-up a new laptop recently: I could not find Quartus 5.1 anywhere on the Altera website as it had been replaced with version 6.0. Luckily I had a copy of version 5.1 on a CD which came with my Nios dev kit so I used that instead. It would be helpful if Altera maintained a page on their website for old versions of the software. 

I know this won&#39;t help you Fred, unless you have a Nios dev kit of the correct vintage in your desk drawer. 

I am also looking forward to ecos for Nios version 6, but I can wait patiently as version 5.1 works just fine for me at the moment. 

Mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If it can help, I&#39;ve found the old distribution here : 

ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/download/qu...web_edition.exe (ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/download/quartusii_web_edition/5.1/quartusii_51_web_edition.exe

ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/download/ni..._eval_51_pc.zip (ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/download/nios/niosii_eval_51_pc.zip

Fred 

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by snadden@Jun 5 2006, 12:31 PM 

i found the same problem when i set-up a new laptop recently: i could not find quartus 5.1 anywhere on the altera website as it had been replaced with version 6.0. luckily i had a copy of version 5.1 on a cd which came with my nios dev kit so i used that instead. it would be helpful if altera maintained a page on their website for old versions of the software. 

i know this won&#39;t help you fred, unless you have a nios dev kit of the correct vintage in your desk drawer. 

i am also looking forward to ecos for nios version 6, but i can wait patiently as version 5.1 works just fine for me at the moment. 

mike 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=15910) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by frd66@Jun 5 2006, 03:29 PM 

if it can help, i&#39;ve found the old distribution here : 

ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/download/qu...web_edition.exe (ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/download/quartusii_web_edition/5.1/quartusii_51_web_edition.exe

ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/download/ni..._eval_51_pc.zip (ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/download/nios/niosii_eval_51_pc.zip

fred 

--- quote start ---  

originally posted by snadden@jun 5 2006, 12:31 pm 

I found the same problem when I set-up a new laptop recently: I could not find Quartus 5.1 anywhere on the Altera website as it had been replaced with version 6.0. Luckily I had a copy of version 5.1 on a CD which came with my Nios dev kit so I used that instead. It would be helpful if Altera maintained a page on their website for old versions of the software. 

I know this won&#39;t help you Fred, unless you have a Nios dev kit of the correct vintage in your desk drawer. 

I am also looking forward to ecos for Nios version 6, but I can wait patiently as version 5.1 works just fine for me at the moment. 

Mike 

--- Quote End ---  

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=15924)</div> 

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

I&#39;m using old eCos version with Nios II IDE 6.0... you just have to change version string in one file in main IDE installation directory for the time of eCos installation... 

I can&#39;t check which file is it at this moment, but it is fairly simple to find.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by rondoval+jun 6 2006, 03:28 pm--><div class='quotetop'>quote (rondoval @ jun 6 2006, 03:28 pm)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

<!--quotebegin-frd66@Jun 5 2006, 03:29 PM 

if it can help, i&#39;ve found the old distribution here : 

fred 

--- quote start ---  

originally posted by snadden@jun 5 2006, 12:31 pm 

Mike 

--- Quote End ---  

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=15924)</div> 

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

I&#39;m using old eCos version with Nios II IDE 6.0... you just have to change version string in one file in main IDE installation directory for the time of eCos installation... 

I can&#39;t check which file is it at this moment, but it is fairly simple to find. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=15974)</div> 

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Look for a file named "version.ptf" (devkit installation root dir), then in the file modify the value for the line number = "x.x" , where x.x should be 5.1 

number = "5.1"; 

major = "5"; 

minor = "0"; 

level = "0"; 

build = "73c"; 

bundle = "nios2"; 

host = "sc-build-ii"; 

user = "sc-regtest"; 

date = "2005.04.25"; 

time = "20.45.02"; 

it worked for me. Hope this will help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry about this one, folks.  

The fact is that there *shouldn&#39;t* be any updates in Nios II 6.0 that inherently break eCos or require an update; the installer should not have been imposing that version restriction but it appears that that wasn&#39;t the case.  

Please try the above workaround until we build/upload an eCos update that installs with Nios II 6.0. Thank you for your collective patience!
0 Kudos