Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

NIOS Register Bank Access

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I am using Nios/f CPU at 100 Mhz and developing USB2.0 HAL driver. 

When device send an interrupt to the NIOS CPU ,it does two thing: 

1. Push all the current content on stack memory 

2.Execute ISR. 

Here when device send interrupt,nios take 1.5 micro second to start ISR.I want to reduce this time by using some custome instruction or by any mechanism. 

I am using Tightly couple memory and also on-chip memory for reducing Interrupt latency. Here i am using on-chip emory for stack. 

One suggestion in my mind is that if i can shift or transfer whole nios register bank directly to stack (which actualy NIOS HAL is doing when interrupt come from device)then might be i will get more time to serve my ISR. I have total 3.7 micro second for this and out of them 1.5micro second will take by NIOS. 

If anybody have an idea or any custome instruction for nios register bank access then plz let me know. 

Best Regards, 

slsnios
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

1.5µs is not too bad. Fiddling with the interrupt handler itself can reduce a little bit. I have 1.8µs on 50Mc, so maybe you can go down to 0.9µs. Depends also a lot on the performance of the memory you store the processor register in.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey 1.5 usec is too much for me..i just want to complete it within 1 usec.Is there any way.If then plz let me know..very fast....

0 Kudos