Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Analog Input Into Nios

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm a newbie to Nios, but have done some embedded Linux driver development with the PowerPC 823 

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of how to get analog inputs from the EP2S60 DSP Dev Board into uClinux. Actually, info on how to get any analog inputs would be a good start. 

I've searched a bit with no real luck, and am currently under the impression that a concrete driver isn't yet available.  

Am I right in thinking that I need to add to the Quartus II Nios design and then create my own uClinux driver by mapping memory? 

What is a good way to tie the Nios processor to other interfaces on the StratixII? Are there any reference designs someone could point me to? 

Cheers, 

Jim
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

jlasswell, 

Welcome. 

Please go to the nios wiki, http://nioswiki.jot.com/wikihome/operating...ms/%c2%b5clinux (http://nioswiki.jot.com/wikihome/operatingsystems/%c2%b5clinux

install binary toolchain, build your own nios2, and follow the uClinux-dist to build kernel and apps. 

There is no analog input driver for the DSP board. You may have to port it. 

Cheer, 

Hippo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You don't need to go as far as writing your own driver, unless you want to . Remember, because NIOS is non-mmu, you can directly access any peripheral in SOPC Builder. So if you have a PIO Component connected to your analog/digital inputs, you can simply access it by initializing a pointer to it's base address and reading/writing it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Jdhar's right....  

Keep in mind that you're not really accessing raw "analog" input/output anyway, you're just configuring registers in an Analog hardware device. Most devices, that I've dealt with, have some sort of processor interface to do this. (I2C, SPI, etc.) 

If you're referring to the DACs/ADCs on the DSP kit, I'm pretty confident that someone out there has attempted talking to them over Avalon, though I've never tried it, so I can't comment about your exact situation. 

Best Regards, 

- slacker
0 Kudos