Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

booting uclinux from u-boot

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi all 

I am trying to boot uclinux from u-boot on 2s60 board. 

I have one doubt regarding Exception vector table entry point address. 

What I have observed in uclinux (head.S) that exception vector table entry point jump instruction sits at Base Addr of RAM + 0x20 offset, same information I have given in Hardware configuration file in sopc builder (.sof). 

And same location is used for u-boot's Execption vector table (specified in the u-boot config file). 

My SDRAM start address is 0x0100_0000. 

So exception vector table sits at 0x0100_0020 in both the cases of u-boot and uclinux. 

The kernel image has entry_address at 0x0100_0000. 

Now if I download kernel image through u-boot, then Exception table gets overwritten by kernel image and u-boot hangs. 

Please share your experience with how you deal with this issue. I mean when you boot kernel from u-boot then which address is given for exception vector table. Or it's ok to use same addr there is some other issue ? 

thanks 

Ankur
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by ankur@May 29 2006, 04:24 AM 

hi all 

i am trying to boot uclinux from u-boot on 2s60 board. 

i have one doubt regarding exception vector table entry point address. 

what i have observed in uclinux (head.s) that exception vector table entry point jump instruction sits at base addr of ram + 0x20 offset, same information i have given in hardware configuration file in sopc builder (.sof). 

and same location is used for u-boot's execption vector table (specified in the u-boot config file). 

my sdram start address is 0x0100_0000. 

so exception vector table sits at 0x0100_0020 in both the cases of u-boot and uclinux. 

the kernel image has entry_address at 0x0100_0000. 

now if i download kernel image through u-boot, then exception table gets overwritten by kernel image and u-boot hangs. 

please share your experience with how you deal with this issue. i mean when you boot kernel from u-boot then which address is given for exception vector table. or it's ok to use same addr there is some other issue ? 

thanks 

ankur 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=15652) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

hi all, 

I can download my kernel image file in the sdram. There were some misunderstanding with CFG_NIOS_CPU_VEC_BASE and CFG_EXCEPTION_ADDR. 

Now both I made equal to 0x0100_0020. 

But still I can&#39;t boot my kernel. 

I am downloading uncompressed kernel through tftpboot at 0x0100_0000. 

Then I give bootm 0x0100_0000 

Is it fine or should I change the location ?? 

thanks 

Ankur
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by ankur+may 29 2006, 08:18 am--><div class='quotetop'>quote (ankur @ may 29 2006, 08:18 am)</div> 

--- quote start ---  

<!--quotebegin-ankur@May 29 2006, 04:24 AM 

hi all 

i am trying to boot uclinux from u-boot on 2s60 board. 

i have one doubt regarding exception vector table entry point address. 

what i have observed in uclinux (head.s) that exception vector table entry point jump instruction sits at base addr of ram + 0x20 offset, same information i have given in hardware configuration file in sopc builder (.sof). 

and same location is used for u-boot&#39;s execption vector table (specified in the u-boot config file). 

my sdram start address is 0x0100_0000. 

so exception vector table sits at 0x0100_0020 in both the cases of u-boot and uclinux. 

the kernel image has entry_address at 0x0100_0000. 

now if i download kernel image through u-boot, then exception table gets overwritten by kernel image and u-boot hangs. 

please share your experience with how you deal with this issue. i mean when you boot kernel from u-boot then which address is given for exception vector table. or it&#39;s ok to use same addr there is some other issue ? 

thanks 

ankur 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=15652) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

hi all, 

I can download my kernel image file in the sdram. There were some misunderstanding with CFG_NIOS_CPU_VEC_BASE and CFG_EXCEPTION_ADDR. 

Now both I made equal to 0x0100_0020. 

But still I can&#39;t boot my kernel. 

I am downloading uncompressed kernel through tftpboot at 0x0100_0000. 

Then I give bootm 0x0100_0000 

Is it fine or should I change the location ?? 

thanks 

Ankur 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=15664)</div> 

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Ankur, 

> There were some misunderstanding with CFG_NIOS_CPU_VEC_BASE and 

> CFG_EXCEPTION_ADDR. 

> Now both I made equal to 0x0100_0020. 

First, don&#39;t use CFG_NIOS_CPU_VEC_BASE ... this is an old (and totally brain-damaged) obfuscation 

that was foolishly added to some Nios-32 u-boot board configurations -- it is not used in the 

Nios II sources. And please don&#39;t ask for any details about CFG_NIOS_CPU_VEC_BASE 

-- I&#39;ll just end up embarrassing myself with an endless rant ;-) 

Second, please use the code from: http://www.psyent.com/download (http://www.psyent.com/download) -- it contains all of the patches 

that have been submitted to the u-boot project (and are still pending). If you&#39;re using code directly 

from the u-boot project you will likely have problems without the patches. 

> am downloading uncompressed kernel through tftpboot at 0x0100_0000. 

> Then I give bootm 0x0100_0000 

> Is it fine or should I change the location ?? 

Change this -- you are overwriting your exception trampoline during download. The first 

interrupt will put the CPU in the weeds. Load the image somewhere higher in memory. 

The &#39;bootm&#39; command will copy (and optionally decompress) the image to the load 

address you specified with mkimage, after disabling interrupts. Try downloading to 

0140_0000 for example (but leave the load address and entry point at 0100_0000). Then, 

==> bootm 1400000 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by smcnutt@May 30 2006, 07:39 PM 

hi ankur, 

> there were some misunderstanding with cfg_nios_cpu_vec_base and 

> cfg_exception_addr. 

> now both i made equal to 0x0100_0020. 

first, don&#39;t use cfg_nios_cpu_vec_base ... this is an old (and totally brain-damaged) obfuscation 

that was foolishly added to some nios-32 u-boot board configurations -- it is not used in the 

nios ii sources. and please don&#39;t ask for any details about cfg_nios_cpu_vec_base 

-- i&#39;ll just end up embarrassing myself with an endless rant ;-) 

second, please use the code from: http://www.psyent.com/download (http://www.psyent.com/download) -- it contains all of the patches 

that have been submitted to the u-boot project (and are still pending). if you&#39;re using code directly 

from the u-boot project you will likely have problems without the patches. 

>  am downloading uncompressed kernel through tftpboot at 0x0100_0000. 

> then i give bootm 0x0100_0000 

> is it fine or should i change the location ?? 

change this -- you are overwriting your exception trampoline during download. the first 

interrupt will put the cpu in the weeds. load the image somewhere higher in memory. 

the &#39;bootm&#39; command will copy (and optionally decompress) the image to the load 

address you specified with mkimage, after disabling interrupts.[/b] Try downloading to 

0140_0000 for example (but leave the load address and entry point at 0100_0000). Then, 

==> bootm 1400000 

Regards, 

--Scott 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=15700) 

--- Quote End ---  

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

hi Scott, 

thanks, for the reply. Actually I was using u-boot -1.1.2 taken from source forge. (I know its old now). But after following your instructions uclinux is booting now. 

thanks once again 

Ankur
0 Kudos