Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

VGA support in uclinux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi all, 

I am trying to enable VGA support in uclinux (1.4 rel). 

In make menuconfig -> Device Drivers -> Graphics support, I found 

[] Support for frame buffer devices 

if I enalbe this support further it gives me 4-5 options 

Is that enough to enable VGA support in uclinux. I searched for  

Console display driver support -> 

but I could not find it. 

If any one has tried it before then pls suggest proper procedure. 

thanks 

Ankur
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Ankur, 

How do you connect the VGA? 

There is no avalon bus VGA support in kernel yet. 

Maybe you can help to port it. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by hippo@Jun 2 2006, 06:27 AM 

hi ankur, 

how do you connect the vga? 

there is no avalon bus vga support in kernel yet. 

maybe you can help to port it.  http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#emo_dir#>/smile.gif  

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=15798) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

hi hippo and all, 

I have lancelot VGA controller board, which I can connect to stratix 2s60 dev board 40 pin prototype connector.  

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

There is no avalon bus VGA support in "kernel" yet.[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

I can&#39;t understand this statement, I mean if I put a VGA IP core (third party) in hw config (sopc builder) and VGA core handles frame buffer mechanism then last thing is kernel support required. Ok I agree that I have to either port or write a new frame buffer driver. 

I hope my understanding is correct or pls correct it with you comments. 

If I am going in wrong direction then pls suggest or inform me. 

thanks 

Ankur
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don&#39;t know if the kit come with the driver for uClinux. If not, then you have to port or write a frame buffer driver.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe the lancelot core is Avalon compatible, so that is what he is probably using. Regarding the driver, there is no driver for it yet - on your board, do you have a separate video buffer, or is it all run from the same RAM (SDRAM, DDR?). If you don&#39;t have separate video memory, like SRAM, running linux and video at the same time will be very difficult. And as hippo mentioned, you still need a framebuffer driver..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote Start ---  

I believe the lancelot core is Avalon compatible, so that is what he is probably using. Regarding the driver, there is no driver for it yet - on your board, do you have a separate video buffer, or is it all run from the same RAM (SDRAM, DDR?). If you don&#39;t have separate video memory, like SRAM, running linux and video at the same time will be very difficult. And as hippo mentioned, you still need a framebuffer driver.. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=15809)</div> 

--- Quote End ---  

hi all, 

thanks for the interest and reply, 

YES, lancelot core is Avalon compatilbe, I am using the same and I agree there is need for porting frame buffer driver for same, at present I am doing the feasibility study (going through other frame buffer driver present in uclinux) to do so.  

The example C code given by lancelot www.fpga.nl site, looks like it runs from SDRAM. 

Once I finish with the study I will update all, 

thanks, 

Ankur
0 Kudos