Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Processor not responding

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the Cyclone II DSP Development Kit (2C35 device) but cannot get my "hello world" program to run. I always get the following message. 

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Pausing target processor: not responding. 

Resetting and trying again: FAILED 

Leaving target processor paused 

I have carefully followed the steps outlined in the Nios II Development Kit Getting Started User Guide and everything works as expected, right up to the part that says "Click Run..." on page 1-14. I've seen other postings with similar problems but I haven't seen resolution. If I've missed something, please point me to the answers, posts, documentation, whatever. 

Is this a known problem? Is it possible that my "Nios II Device Drivers" project in the IDE is bad, causing this problem, because of earlier mistakes on my part? How can I recreate "Nios II Device Drivers"? 

Looking for any suggestions or ideas.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Make sure that all unassigned pins in the FPGA are in tri-state mode. If not (this is Quartus default unless you changed it), the board resets immediately after configuration and the processor vanishes. 

Avishay
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, Avishay, for the suggestion. I checked the unassigned pins and they are already set to tri-state input, so I looked for other possible problems. 

I noticed something else that is probably causing my problem - now I need help to resolve it. In SOPC builder, I'm using the standard reference design but I have an error and a warning at the bottom message window of the GUI. 

The error says "One or more components could not be located (ddr_sdram_component). Check search path under file->sopc builder setup... menu." I tried adding some directories like it said, but that doesn't seem to help. Next to the ddr_sdram component in the active components window, it says "(NOT INSTALLED)". Do I need to reinstall Quartus? How can I install just the missing component? (Where do I find it?) 

The warning says "nios development board, cyclone ii edition: SSRAM data byte-lanes are swapped. Refer to the Nios Development Board, Cyclone II Edition Reference Manual." Is this normal for this board? Do I need to correct this? 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by davew@Jun 15 2006, 04:25 PM 

thanks, avishay, for the suggestion.  i checked the unassigned pins and they are already set to tri-state input, so i looked for other possible problems. 

i noticed something else that is probably causing my problem - now i need help to resolve it.  in sopc builder, i'm using the standard reference design but i have an error and a warning at the bottom message window of the gui. 

the error says "one or more components could not be located (ddr_sdram_component). check Search Path[/b] under file->sopc builder setup... menu."  I tried adding some directories like it said, but that doesn't seem to help.  Next to the ddr_sdram component in the active components window, it says "(NOT INSTALLED)".  Do I need to reinstall Quartus?  How can I install just the missing component?  (Where do I find it?) 

The warning says "nios development board, cyclone ii edition: SSRAM data byte-lanes are swapped. Refer to the Nios Development Board, Cyclone II Edition Reference Manual."  Is this normal for this board?  Do I need to correct this? 

Dave 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=16190) 

--- Quote End ---  

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello. 

Maybe you need to install the Megacore IP library CD.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Run your programm in simulator, is it work? 

Make sure that you have USB-Blaster [USB-0] only in jtagserver! 

It help me in solving the same problem=) Good luck!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by davew@Jun 15 2006, 02:25 PM 

thanks, avishay, for the suggestion.  i checked the unassigned pins and they are already set to tri-state input, so i looked for other possible problems. 

i noticed something else that is probably causing my problem - now i need help to resolve it.  in sopc builder, i&#39;m using the standard reference design but i have an error and a warning at the bottom message window of the gui. 

the error says "one or more components could not be located (ddr_sdram_component). check Search Path[/b] under file->sopc builder setup... menu."  I tried adding some directories like it said, but that doesn&#39;t seem to help.  Next to the ddr_sdram component in the active components window, it says "(NOT INSTALLED)".  Do I need to reinstall Quartus?  How can I install just the missing component?  (Where do I find it?) 

The warning says "nios development board, cyclone ii edition: SSRAM data byte-lanes are swapped. Refer to the Nios Development Board, Cyclone II Edition Reference Manual."  Is this normal for this board?  Do I need to correct this? 

Dave 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=16190) 

--- Quote End ---  

[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Dave, 

Perhaps I used to have the same problem and someone in this forum helped me. So, please try this solution: 

1. Install ddr Core 3.4.0 (If tou don&#39;t have, you can download the free evaluation on altera.com). 

2. Open project menu, select Add/Remove Files in Project ... And in tab File, remove all the old version of ddr Core ( .vhd file ) then add the new version of ddr Core. And replace the path in user libraries ...  

3. Open SOPC Builder. In Board Settings tab, there will be warning for unassigned pin of ddr, set them to assgined in quartus ii project

4. Regenerate the system. 

5. Re-compile in Quartus II. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I was trying to run the board diag project on the standard for DE2 board and getting the similar problem. I didn&#39;t recompile the standard project but used the .sof file for programmer only and I think that should be ok (I don&#39;t need to recompile unless I want to add more hardware with the SOPC Builder right?). So I don&#39;t think error in compilation would result in this problem of processor not responding.  

I tried several ways to overcome this but still didn&#39;t work. Any help would be very appreciated http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif  

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have just the same problem and I don&#39;t use any standard hardware. So you can calm down, and focus on other topics as just on the SD-RAM thing on your board. It must be a problem with the IDE. 

If I find the problem, I&#39;ll post soon. 

Good luck, I hope someone will find the solution and will post it. 

Bye
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I&#39;ve been having this same problem too. I get the error message: 

Using cable "ByteBlasterMV [LPT1]", device 1, instance 0x01 

I can program my .sof to the board no problem, I can compile my C application too, but when i go to run the C code on the processor I get that error message. I can&#39;t even use the flash programmmer to program the flash memory either, I get an error along the same lines as the one above. 

If anybody has any ideas i&#39;d greatly appreciate them.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by davew@Jun 15 2006, 08:25 AM 

the warning says "Nios Development Board, Cyclone II Edition:[/b] SSRAM data byte-lanes are swapped. Refer to the Nios Development Board, Cyclone II Edition Reference Manual."  Is this normal for this board?  Do I need to correct this?[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

The top two bytes of the SSRAM data are reversed on the NIOS II development boards Cyclone II edition. This is just a warning SOPC builder seems to take this into account.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I established a basic NiosII system in SOPC Builder,just like this:Cpu-NIosII/s,Jtag Uart&#65292;on chip memory-16K,led_pio-8 outputs. 

I run the hello_led poject on my SOPC board-ep2c20, 

after download my hardware system to the board and complie my software in NIOS IDE ,I run the project,but it couldn`t success. 

The error informations are: 

Using cable "Nios II Evaluation Board [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

I have cheched my Pins assignment , it was all right. 

Please ,Please tell me how to solve?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by zly_1207@Mar 12 2007, 02:50 AM 

using cable "nios ii evaluation board [usb-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

pausing target processor: not responding. 

resetting and trying again: failed 

leaving target processor paused 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=22211) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Hi all, 

i also have this often re-occuring problem, could you please help me? Thank you in advance. 

I have followed the example you may find in tt_nios2_hardware_tutorial.pdf (altera website.)  

Everything goes fine to the point where I need to upload the program... 

Then I get the error which I have mentioned above. 

what could have gone wrong? 

I use nios II IDE 7.0 and quartus II 7.0 for the DE2 (EP35) education board. (with one usb cable)  

* I only use the free license.  

> Could this be causing the problem?  

* In the tutorial I have read the following: 

"You must have an Altera USB-Blaster download cable, revision B or higher." 

> How can I check if this is the problem? 

I also have following questions: 

- is there anybody who has succesfully completed the example? 

(on the DE2/EP35 education board, with free license)  

- are there other causes for my problem? 

once again thank you in advance. 

Some additional info: 

I can create a simple NIOS II core in hardware on which I can upload a simple program with the "Altera Debug Client". For more complex programs I however would like to use the NIOS II IDE 

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by slash@Jun 15 2006, 09:52 PM 

run your programm in simulator, is it work? 

make sure that you have usb-blaster [usb-0] only in jtagserver! 

it help me in solving the same problem=) good luck! 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=16203) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Could you please tell me how I can check this?
0 Kudos