Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

The NIOS II doesn't reply.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

everytime I want to connect to my NIOS II via the ByteBlaster cable (at my LPT port) the following messages appears in the NIOS II IDE 

Using cable "ByteBlasterII [LPT1]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Pausing target processor: not responding. 

Resetting and trying again: FAILED 

Leaving target processor paused 

The FPGA is successfully programm with the NIOS II design and the FPGA works fine, if I program it with some "by-hand-made" designs.  

What do I do wrong? The design in the SOPC Builder contains just the CPU a onchip memory and the JTAG UART; nothing more, and I can't persuade it to work. :-( 

Can someone help me? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Two things come to mind at the moment regardinging your problem. 

1) Debug Core: Make sure that you have added a debug core to your processor in SOPC Builder. This is done through the Nios II editor (double-click on the cpu in the table). If you don&#39;t have a debug core for the processor, then you&#39;re out of luck. I can&#39;t remember if the Nios II IDE will tell you this, however. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif  

2) Open Core Plus: If you are using an unlicense (evaluation) version of the Nios II core, make sure that you leave the open-core dilalog box running in Quartus. This message box will appear after you download the compiled SOF file to your board if it contains a Nios II processor. Don&#39;t click "cancel" on this message box if you intend to debug your system!! 

Hope one of these solutions helps. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif  

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by grubenkarlo@Jul 3 2006, 08:57 AM 

hello, 

everytime i want to connect to my nios ii via the byteblaster cable (at my lpt port) the following messages appears in the nios ii ide 

using cable "byteblasterii [lpt1]", device 1, instance 0x00 

pausing target processor: not responding. 

resetting and trying again: failed 

leaving target processor paused 

the fpga is successfully programm with the nios ii design and the fpga works fine, if i program it with some "by-hand-made" designs.  

what do i do wrong? the design in the sopc builder contains just the cpu a onchip memory and the jtag uart; nothing more, and i can&#39;t persuade it to work. :-( 

can someone help me? 

thanks. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=16630) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos