Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

Doew LWIP do what I need? UDP send/rcv?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I've asked this question directly of Altera sales and gotten a vague answer. But I need a specific answer so I know whether to bid a task. 

My customer needs to translate UDP over ethernet messages into a serial format. My plan would be to use Nios in an FPGA togther with the LAN91C111 Mac/Phy. 

The Nios program to convert from a UDP payload into the proprietary serial format is straightforward. The question is how much code must be written to talk to the 91C111 and send/receive UDP packets. 

My impression is that the LWIP software package provided on this site does 90% of the job. My impression is: 

1. It will send and received UDP packets and does everything necessary to run the 91C111; 

2. Does NOT require any purchased OS 

3. Can be used royalty free 

4. And it really, actually works. 

Am I right? Is this the ticket? If not, are there any alternatives? Writing the whole thing from scratch is way beyond the scope that could be considered. 

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Mhirsch, 

in order to confirm you thougts: you are absolutely wright. The lwIP-stack can do all of this. You do not need much code in order to send/receive udp-messages. Most of it is handled by the stack. 

So if you are looking for a royalty-free, stand-alone stack, the lwIP-stack is exactly what you need. 

Cheers, 

Danny
0 Kudos