Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

two cpus, uClinux on cpu1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I&#39;ve got a design with two nios2 cpus. The idea is that cpu1 runs uClinux to provide a webserver front end, whilst cpu2 is working with some custom on-chip hardware. I &#39;ve been able to get both cpus running in a simple test using two C applications made in the nios2 IDE (no operating systems). Now I&#39;d like to get uClinux running on cpu1 and my stand alone C code on cpu2. cpu1 is similar to the std_2s60 design. I&#39;ve followed Hippo&#39;s wiki and got uClinux running on a std_2s60. I then made a zImage for uClinux for cpu1. (Upon going "make linux_hwselect SYSPTF=<my two cpu .ptf>" I was able to select the correct cpu to run uClinux. ) Then, I copied the zImage to Windows, ran the nios2 shell in Windows 

and tried various combinations of the form, 

SOPC Builder>nios2-download --device <any number> --instance <any number> -g zImage 

and it says that it does not know which debug module to use, or that I should try setting things up using RUN/RUN or RUN/DEBUG (presumablly in the nios2 IDE). How do I persuade the zImage go to cpu1?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I&#39;ve fixed my problem, but in a rather convoluted way, and I&#39;d be grateful if someone could explain how to do it properly. 

Here&#39;s what I did.  

Step 1) In the nios2 shell in Windows, changed directory to the /Debug directory in the nios2 IDE that held the C application for cpu2.  

SOPC Builder>nios2-download -g <cpu2 code>.elf 

... loads and runs stand-alone C application happily in cpu2 

Step 2) Copied the zImage for uClinux (that I&#39;d made on my Linux box following Hippo&#39;s wiki) into the /Debug directory in the nios2 IDE that I&#39;d already used to test a stand-alone C application running in cpu1. Then, in this directory, 

SOPC Builder>nios2-download -g zImage 

... loads ok 

SOPC Builder>nios2-terminal 

... uClinux running ok in cpu1 

/>
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here is the correct syntax. I did not understand that --device is not the cpu.  

(Background, design with two nios2 cpus. cpu1 to run uClinux, zImage file made using Linux toolchain, cpu2 to run stand alone C application, image is (say) cpu2code.elf made using nios2 IDE under Windows. )  

In Windows launch nios2 shell. 

[SOPC Builder]$ nios2-download --device 1 --instance 2 -g cpu2code.elf 

cpu2 application starts to run 

[SOPC Builder]$ nios2-download --device 1 --instance 1 -g zImage 

[SOPC Builder]$ nios2-terminal 

/> (prompt from uClinux running on cpu1)
0 Kudos