Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12604 Discussions

Flash programmer issue with multiple processors

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a dual processor design that I'm trying to program into my Stratix II development kit. When I try, I get this output: 

cd C:/nios2_60_projects/dual_proc/software/cpu_ethernet/Debug # Creating .flash file for the project $SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/elf2flash --base=0x00000000 --end=0xffffff --reset=0x0 --input=cpu_ethernet.elf --output=ext_flash.flash --boot=$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/components/altera_nios2/boot_loader_cfi.srec # Programming flash with the project $SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin/nios2-flash-programmer --device=1 --sidp=0x012110D8 --id=3189022848 --timestamp=1155162488 --base=0x00000000 ext_flash.flash There are two or more Nios II processors available which match the values specified.  Please use the configuration dialog to pick one, or specify the --device and/or --instance parameters on the command line. 

From the output it looks like it's not downloading a "programming design" anymore, but rather using whatever design is programmed into the board at the time. How do I fix this? There's no option in the configuration dialog to choose a processor that I can see.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a script now that uses the flash_recovery SOF as the target design for flash programming. It works, but I have to edit it by hand. Is there a way to get the flash programmer to do it automatically?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the same problem a few months ago - there are two possibilities to solve this: 

1. Edit the program_flash.sh script and add the --device and --instance parameters to the flash_programmers call. (you have to do this every time you press the apply button at the flash programmers GUI page) 

or 

2. Create another project containing only one nios without any peripherals except the epcs and use this for programming the flash with the desired content. 

I use approach# 2 since the time i had this problem and I am happy with it... 

I hope this helps 

Klaus
0 Kudos