Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Nios SDk Shell can't display my inputs

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

type:nios2-terminal and waiting for running my program. 

But Nios SDk Shell can't display my inputs during running my program. 

But in nios IDE console,I can see my inputs. 

So WHY?? 

p.s. My program is a simple command prigram,which is a console app.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

nios2-terminal, by itself does not actually download your code. It merely connects to an already running process.... You'd have to do something like the following: 

nios2-download -g <your_program>.elf && nios2-terminal 

If you have multiple JTAG cables and/or devices, then you&#39;d have to be concerned with specifying those on the command lines as well. 

It&#39;s also possible that your jtag_uart has timed out. Unlike a standard UART, the jtag_uart will timeout if you don&#39;t have a host program (such as nios2-terminal) connected to it. 

That&#39;s about all I can think of, given the information you posted. 

Cheers, 

- slacker
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

But where can i find .elf file? just as a "zImage_std_2c35"? 

I did "nios2-download -g zImage_0818 " and "nios2-terminal". 

I got into the uclinux. 

But my programme not a linux app.which is just a windows app and can run 

well in my vc++6 and nios ide 6. 

2.And how long does jtag_uart keep work well? 

thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It&#39;s a different flow for developing on uCLinux. The binary format is even different: FLT versus ELF. You might want to take a look at the nios wiki (http://nioswiki.jot.com/) for further info. 

As far as your situation, you&#39;d have to download your application to the running uCLinux system or, alternately (and better, I might add), you could just copy your executable to an NFS share on your host computer. [EDIT] Or...add your application to your file system. 

Best of luck. I think there&#39;s a sample "Hello World" app. that you can try. 

Cheers, 

- slacker 

P.S.: Though others have stated it here, you ought not to be using Windows to develop a Linux (or in your case) uCLinux application.... If you&#39;re going to develop for uCLinux, might as well work on a similar host!
0 Kudos