Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Problem with jssf2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Could someone help me to start working with jffs2 file system?.  

I use following code: # include <cyg/hal/io.h># include <cyg/kernel/kapi.h># include <cyg/io/io.h># include <cyg/fileio/fileio.h># include "stdio.h" 

void cyg_user_start(void) 

int err; 

# ifdef CYGPKG_IO_FILEIO 

err=mount ("/dev/flash", "/", "jffs2"); 

printf("%d\n",err); 

if(err == 0) 

printf("success"); 

chdir ("/"); 

# endif 

but when I start my app i receive: 

so there is some error and I dont know what kind of error and how to fix it. 

My flash memory is filled with 0xFF patterns.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Mell, 

Have you configured ecos to use your flash memory, and set aside a block of memory for JFFS2? You need to set the "Instantiate in I/O block device API" property in the flash drivers section. 

I had a problem with JFFS2 on my Altera Cyclone II 2C35 based Dev Board because the flash memory is connected as 8-bit and the ecos driver expects it to be in 16-bit mode. I can send you code to fix this if you need it. 

I found JFFS2 quite tricky to get started with, but once it starts working it&#39;s great! 

Mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Mike, 

I&#39;ve configured eCos Library using NiosII config tool. I imported all required packages: JFFS2 Filesystem, Generic FLASH memory support, CRC support, Linux compatibility. I configured base of flash device block to 0x0000 and length of 16Mbytes(as we have in our system). 

I use the same evaluation board as you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Mell, 

I solved my problem with JFFS2 by following the advice in this post: 

previous post (http://forum.niosforum.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t1841.html

If you need help implementing this solution then let me know. 

Mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello mike, 

I&#39;ve read contens of link you sent, but I wasn&#39;t able to find any of files mentioned in neither in project path nor in installation of eCos.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Mell, 

On my system the two files you need to edit are in these locations: 

C:\altera\kits\nios2_60\components\ecos\ecos-current\packages\devs\flash\sopc\altera_avalon_am29lv065d_flash\current\src\altera_avalon_am29lv065d_flash.c 

C:\altera\kits\nios2_60\components\ecos\ecos-current\packages\devs\flash\amd\am29xxxxx\current\include\flash_am29xxxxx_parts.inl 

The file called altera_avalon_am29lv065d_flash.c contains a definition of the flash geometry that is being used. Near the top of the file you will find some code like this: 

# define CYGNUM_FLASH_INTERLEAVE  (1)    # define CYGNUM_FLASH_SERIES         (1)    # define CYGNUM_FLASH_WIDTH          (8)    # define CYGNUM_FLASH_BASE       altera_avalon_am29lv065d_base 

You need to add a line to this to specify that the flash is being used in 8-bit mode, like so: 

#define CYGNUM_FLASH_INTERLEAVE (1)# define CYGNUM_FLASH_SERIES     (1)# define CYGNUM_FLASH_WIDTH      (8)# define CYGNUM_FLASH_16AS8    (1)# define CYGNUM_FLASH_BASE    altera_avalon_am29lv065d_base 

The second file called flash_am29xxxxx_parts.inl contains the settings required to drive the flash. It consists of a long list of flash settings. The defines in the previous file cause parts of the second file to be enabled. We need to add a new section to flash_am29xxxxx_parts.inl to describe the flash being used in 8-bit mode. 

Search for this code in the file (Somewhere around line 560): 

#else // 16 bit devices # ifdef CYGHWR_DEVS_FLASH_AMD_AM29LV128    {   // AM29LV128        device_id  : FLASHWORD(0x227e),          block_size : 0x10000 * CYGNUM_FLASH_INTERLEAVE,        block_count: 256,        device_size: 0x1000000 * CYGNUM_FLASH_INTERLEAVE,        base_mask  : ~(0x1000000 * CYGNUM_FLASH_INTERLEAVE - 1),        bootblock  : false,        banked     : false,        bufsiz     : 16    },# endif 

This is the existing code for 16-bit access to the flash. You need to add an 8-bit section before the# else statement like so: 

#ifdef CYGHWR_DEVS_FLASH_AMD_AM29LV128     { // AM29LV128  long_device_id: true,  device_id : FLASHWORD(0x7e),  device_id2 : FLASHWORD(0x12),  device_id3 : FLASHWORD(0x00),  block_size : 0x10000 * CYGNUM_FLASH_INTERLEAVE,  block_count: 256,  device_size: 0x1000000 * CYGNUM_FLASH_INTERLEAVE,  base_mask : ~(0x1000000 * CYGNUM_FLASH_INTERLEAVE - 1),  bootblock : false,  banked : false,  bufsiz : 16     },# endif # else // 16 bit devices # ifdef CYGHWR_DEVS_FLASH_AMD_AM29LV128    {   // AM29LV128        device_id  : FLASHWORD(0x227e),          block_size : 0x10000 * CYGNUM_FLASH_INTERLEAVE,        block_count: 256,        device_size: 0x1000000 * CYGNUM_FLASH_INTERLEAVE,        base_mask  : ~(0x1000000 * CYGNUM_FLASH_INTERLEAVE - 1),        bootblock  : false,        banked     : false,        bufsiz     : 16    },# endif 

The tabs have been messed up by pasting into this message. If I knew how to send attachments through this forum then I would send these files to you. You could send me a "personal message" through the forum with your email address and I could then send the files directly to you. 

Mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My problem now seems to be solved. It was caused by bad description of board and missing device drivers for my flash.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That&#39;s great! Glad I could help. 

Mike
0 Kudos