Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

NIOS II KILLER

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A NIOS II killer is born. Codename Mico32 from Lattice. 

Seems that soft proc gained a lot of interest for all FPGA vendors. 

ARM7 for Actel, MicroBlaze for Xilinx and of course our great NIOS2. 

Hey Altera guys what do you think of that ? http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif  

Note that I&#39;m not endorsed in anyway with Lattice. It&#39;s only that I really **LOVE** soft proc concept and try to be aware of anything about that. 

Cheers.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you like it, implement it on an Altera part http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif  

It is, after all, open source. 

I just got a little glimpse of the tool-set for the Mico32, it is quite similar to the NIOS2 tool-set. They also use the eclipse environment (so does Microblaze for that matter). 

One interesting thing, the Mico32 offers 1-way or 2-way cache for d$ and/or i$. 

By the way, I am not, in any way, a part of Altera, or actually endorsing the Mico32--just making observations.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It seems that the Mico32 is rather large and slow compared to a Nios II. 

Here&#39;s the stats from the Lattice web site: 

Performance and Resource Utilization for LatticeECP2/M Devices1: 

Configuration LUTs fMAX (MHz) 

Basic 1,571 98 

Standard 1,816 116 

Full 2,158 116 

Three Configurations: 

* Basic 

o No Multiplier 

o Multicycle Shifter 

o No Cache 

* Standard 

o Multiplier 

o Pipelined Shifter 

o 8K I-Cache, No D-Cache 

* Full 

o Multiplier 

o Pipelined Shifter 

o 8K I-Cache, 8K D-Cache 

Their "Standard" version is about the size of a Nios II/f but the Nios II/f includes a data cache. 

The frequency of all cores is substantially slower than any of the Nios II cores. Maybe that is a property of the Lattice FPGAs? It would be interesting to get an apples to apples comparison to Nios II by implementing a Mico32 on an Altera device.
0 Kudos