Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Custom Logic Design in SOPC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am a begginer. Xilinx EDK gives you a facility in designing your custom logic which you can interface with plb bus. It's wizard asks you how much RAM you want for your custom logic as master and how much as slave. This memory is mapped to plb bus. Once you are done it generates a wrapper file and lets you know if you want to transfer data to your master configured memory just put the address to master register and set a specific bit. Rest xilinx generated code takes care of data transfer from that specific memory address. And you can write your own HDL code in that wrapper file. 

Is something like that in Alteras SOPC builder? And how to go about that.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by postkhan@Sep 27 2006, 05:40 PM 

i am a begginer. xilinx edk gives you a facility in designing your custom logic which you can interface with plb bus. it's wizard asks you how much ram you want for your custom logic as master and how much as slave. this memory is mapped to plb bus. once you are done it generates a wrapper file and lets you know if you want to transfer data to your master configured memory just put the address to master register and set a specific bit. rest xilinx generated code takes care of data transfer from that specific memory address. and you can write your own hdl code in that wrapper file. 

is something like that in alteras sopc builder? and how to go about that. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=18473) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Up at the top of the component pool (left side of SOPC Builder) is an entry called "Component Editor". This is the main tool for integrating custom logic so that you can access it via the switch fabric. You can use this tool to integrate your Avalon slaves and masters, tri-state masters and slaves, external master interfaces, etc... You can use this to create a wrapper (i.e. you&#39;ll get exported signals to hook in your logic) or you can have your HDL pulled in and bundled with the component wrapper so that you have a portable SOPC Builder friendly component. 

I recommend reading the component editor and Avalon documents on this page to learn more: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/quartus2/lit-qts-sopc.jsp (http://www.altera.com/literature/quartus2/lit-qts-sopc.jsp)
0 Kudos