Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Cant configure kernel

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I cant seem to configure the kernel. I get the following error (shown below) . i recently installed a linux distribution for freescale's 8347 processor that was using cygwin as well. I think that might have something to do with it. i deleted the install but still am having no luck. I also reinstalled microtronix's linux for NIOS. 

Thanks, 

Sid 

bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create! 

/cygdrive/c/Altera/quartus50/bin/cygwin/bin/bash: line 1: tr: command not found 

/cygdrive/c/Altera/quartus50/bin/cygwin/bin/bash: line 1: uname: command not fou 

nd 

/cygdrive/c/Altera/quartus50/bin/cygwin/bin/bash: line 1: grep: command not foun 

/cygdrive/c/Altera/quartus50/bin/cygwin/bin/bash: line 1: cat: command not found 

/cygdrive/c/Altera/quartus50/bin/cygwin/bin/bash: line 1: grep: command not foun 

/cygdrive/c/Altera/quartus50/bin/cygwin/bin/bash: line 1: sed: command not found 

/cygdrive/c/Altera/quartus50/bin/cygwin/bin/bash: line 1: uname: command not fou 

nd 

nd 

nd 

nd 

nd 

nd/cygdrive/c/Altera/quartus50/bin/cygwin/bin/bash: line 1: grep: command not fo 

und 

------------------------------------------------ 

Microtronix Linux Extensions 

Version 1.4, Built June 20, 2005 

------------------------------------------------ 

/cygdrive/c/Altera/quartus50/bin/cygwin/bin/bash: line 1: cygpath: command not f 

ound 

/cygdrive/c/Altera/quartus50/bin/cygwin/bin/bash: line 1: cygpath: command not f 

ound
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

looks like you need to check your environment variables. 

Also check the configure.bat file, if the paths are right.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by nacide@Oct 23 2006, 10:44 AM 

looks like you need to check your environment variables. 

also check the configure.bat file, if the paths are right. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=18855) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

do you know what kind of Env variable i should be looking for?  

I went through the list and nothing really stood out as being Altera/nios/uclinux/mictronix/bash related. I&#39;m running this on an XP machine.  

Thanks, 

Sid
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the long run I recommend using a Linux machine to compile kernel and applications. 

The advantage is: 

1) you can use initramfs and zImage 

2) you dont have to deal with broken Cygwin installations 

3) The Eclipse is difficult to update, once a new Quartus version comes out. 

Right now hippo is working on the new uClinux-dist with 2.6.17 kernel. 

I only tried out the buildroot approach with the Microtronix port, this works well but the kernel is 2.6.11 which is sometimes a problem when adding drivers. 

Be careful with the installation of Cygwin. No Cygwin other than Altera&#39;s is allowed on the system. 

Make sure that the path variable points to the right locations. Check the path variable in Environment variables. 

Furthermore check the variables: QESS_ROOTDIR, QUARTUS_ROOTDIR, SOPC_BUILDER_PATH_50 and SOPC_KIT_NIOS2, they all have to point to the 5.0 version. 

Fix the path in configure.bat (for example: c:\altera\kits\nios2_50\bin\eclipse\workspace\<projectname>\configure.bat) 

hope this might help
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Be sure that the application you create has a clean path i.e : 

you should not have white spaces in directory name, because you are running Nios II under windows, and windows OS alow white spaces in directory name but Cygwin not ! 

in particular if you create the project on Desktop you will have : "C:\Documents and Settings\...\..." in the path and Cygwin interprets the white space as end of command. 

I hope this will help you
0 Kudos