Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

uClinux-dist compilation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello!  

I have installed nios2 BinaryToolchain. Then I have downloaded uClinux-dist-20070130 and have applied uClinux-dist-20070130-nios2-02.diff.gz patch and "make vendor_hwselect" for my .ptf file. (All as is described in http://nioswiki.jot.com/wikihome/operating...ms/uclinuxdist) (http://nioswiki.jot.com/wikihome/operatingsystems/uclinuxdist)). But compilation has failed:  

LD vmlinux  

/opt/nios2/bin/nios2-linux-uclibc-ld.real: region ram is full (vmlinux section .text)  

/opt/nios2/bin/nios2-linux-uclibc-ld.real: region ram is full (vmlinux section .data)  

/opt/nios2/bin/nios2-linux-uclibc-ld.real: region ram is full (vmlinux section .init)  

/opt/nios2/bin/nios2-linux-uclibc-ld.real: region ram is full (vmlinux section .bss)  

/opt/nios2/bin/nios2-linux-uclibc-ld.real: section .data [00900000 -> 00909fff] overlaps section .text [00900000 -> 009c5d73]  

/opt/nios2/bin/nios2-linux-uclibc-ld.real: section .init [00900000 -> 0090e153] overlaps section .text [00900000 -> 009c5d73]  

/opt/nios2/bin/nios2-linux-uclibc-ld.real: section .bss [00900000 -> 0090b2ef] overlaps section .text [00900000 -> 009c5d73]  

/opt/nios2/bin/nios2-linux-uclibc-ld.real: section .sbss [00900000 -> 0090003a] overlaps section .text [00900000 -> 009c5d73]  

make[1]: *** [vmlinux] Error 1  

What it means? Please, help!  

PS  

I work in Mandriva Linux 2007.  

I beginner in Linux... Where I can find informatoin about nios2 BinaryToolchain and SW development in uclinux?  

Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just checked against Mandriva2007, and didn't find any problem. 

Perhaps, your source tree is corrupted. Remember, you should apply the patch ONLY ONCE. 

Please try remove the uClinux-dist tree, and install iagain.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Moin, 

I don't remember exactly, but i think i got a message similar to this one, when i tried to use only the SRAM and not the DDR-SDRAM (on the CyclonII/NIOS Eval-board). 

So maybe it's related to the size of the available RAM. After that, i had to remove the old uClinux-tree and untar+patch+... again to get it work properly again. 

Cheers 

WK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you, hippo. I reinstall uClinux-dist tree but compilation failed with the same error! :-( 

What reasons can be? 

1)Wrong .ptf ? 

Then, what vertion of Quartus I should use? 

Can I use only SDRAM in my project?  

2)Wrong insallation of nios2gcc?  

I also use except for nios2gcc other gnu compilers on my PC. 

Need I in additional adjustments? 

Now try to reinstall Linux on my PC and recompile my project... 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You must have SDRAM to run uClinux. But you still need a CFI flash to do hwselect, just add a dummy one if you don't. 

Or, you may try the ptf file , only to validate the toolchain, 

/opt/altera6.1/nios2eds/examples/verilog/niosII_cycloneII_2c35/standard/std_2C35.ptf 

what is the message during vendor_hwselect?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello hippo! 

sorry for delay.  

1)vendor_hwselect finished ok. but compilation failed with the same error(no depend on .ptf) 

When I reinstall uClinux and nios2gcc as you described in nioswiki(word by word) there were error: cc command not found .So I think in Mandriva Linux I shoud do some more configuration. May be last time I made it incorrect... 

2) 

Has looked forward...  

Now we use lcd and drawing graphics directly(no OS). If I want to use framebuffer I have to install Avalon VGA Controller from nioswiki( I found only ptf file there) . But lcd we use has differrent timing and we use our own controller. Where I can download verolog source of Avalon VGA Controller to rewrite it? What about performance of framebuffer and microwin?  

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1. mdk linux, I tested it with 2007.0 minimun configuration, and 

urpmi gcc make bison ncurses-devel zlib 

The gcc package will create the cc link. I didn't do furthur makeup. 

2. it's in the post your own IP on the forum. 

http://forum.niosforum.com/forum/index.php...type=post&id=57 (http://forum.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=57

The fb and nanoX is dirven by CPU, so it is not very fast.
0 Kudos