Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

DM9000A Ethernet and the 25 Mhz Clock

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I realise that the DM9000 chip needs a 25 Mhz clock from a PLL, but I'm confused about how to actually deliver it and handle the other signals. 

I would think you could use a PLL like so: 

pll: sdram_pll PORT MAP (CLOCK_50, DRAM_CLK, ENET_CLK); 

Which would connect the -3 ns output of the PLL to the SDRAM and the divided-by-2 output to the Ethernet chip. 

The DE2_NET example, however, has the following port maps: 

// the_DM9000A   .ENET_CLK_from_the_DM9000A(ENET_CLK),                 ....   .iOSC_50_to_the_DM9000A(CLOCK_50), 

There is also a PLL which has a 25 Mhz output, but I can't find a place where it connects to the Ethernet chip. If somebody can clear this up it would be much appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by benway@Mar 17 2007, 05:49 PM 

i realise that the dm9000 chip needs a 25 mhz clock from a pll, but i'm confused about how to actually deliver it and handle the other signals. 

i would think you could use a pll like so: 

pll: sdram_pll port map (clock_50, dram_clk, enet_clk); 

which would connect the -3 ns output of the pll to the sdram and the divided-by-2 output to the ethernet chip. 

the de2_net example, however, has the following port maps: 

// the_dm9000a   .enet_clk_from_the_dm9000a(enet_clk),                 ....   .iosc_50_to_the_dm9000a(clock_50), 

there is also a pll which has a 25 mhz output, but i can't find a place where it connects to the ethernet chip.  if somebody can clear this up it would be much appreciated. 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=22309)</div> 

--- Quote End ---  

In the DE2_NET project, the ENET_CLK signal is generated in the DMA9000A_IF.v file, by using a simple divider from a 50Mhz signal to get a 25MHz signal.  

I agree that it is better to use a PLL to generate the ENET_CLK signal. So you can probably go with PLL code you have.
0 Kudos