Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12606 Discussions

NEEK example with ocm mmc_spi and mmu

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please find an example design of neek with opencore ethernet mac, mmc spi and mmu, at the wiki,  

http://www.nioswiki.com/linux 

http://www.nioswiki.com/@api/deki/files/345/=neek_ocm_spi_mmu.zip  

Please unzip and copy the custom_fpga.h to nios2-linux/linux-2.6/arch/nios2/include/asm .  

Please test with the unstable-nios2mmu branch of linux-2.6.git at the sopc server.  

cd nios2-linux/linux-2.6 

git fetch origin 

git branch unstable-nios2mmu origin/unstable-nios2mmu 

git checkout unstable-nios2mmu 

cd nios2-linux/uClinux-dist 

git checkout trunk 

git pull origin 

The following peripheral and drivers are supported, 

ocm : ethoc driver 

cfi flash : mtd 

mmc spi : altspi and mmc_spi driver  

i2c : gpio and i2c-gpio driver  

ps2 : altps2 driver  

lcd : altfb driver  

touch panel : altspi and ads7846 driver  

led : gpio, leds-gpio and heartbeat trigger, only 1 led available 

button: gpio and gpio_mouse, only 4 direction keys available, no interrupt support 

uart: altuart, no fifo 

remote update: 

Enjoy,  

Hippo
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This sounds GREAT ! 

I'll try to recreate the Binary Linux Distribution - with MMU - based on this ASAP (which will be not that soon right now :( ).  

Is there anything that might prevent booting this from the SD-Card with the Altera Application Loader (no u-boot) ? 

I suppose ALTUART without FIFO will not work decently. What prevents using the fifoed UART ?  

I suppose still no change signal for the SD-Card (AFAIU, this is a PCB design issue) ?  

How is the remote update going to work (e.g. FTP a new FPGA design file and/or Kernel Image (with embedded initramfs) 

What is the difference between ethoc and oeth ? I used oeth with NEEK-nommu and the latest versions of "hardware" and driver seemed to weor perfectly.  

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Thank you, Hippo. I just want a storage. I will enjoy it! And I will try to make 'swap', though this means to enter the nest of BUGs:D. 

Kazu
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Michael, 

1. I think it should work with application selector. 

2. I want to know if there is anything slow down the handling of a 115200 baud uart. 

3. no sdcard change signal, there is no wire to fpga on the pcb. 

4. it is a interface to the remote update ip core. please read the data sheet and driver code to find out. I've tried it yet. 

5. they work similar. ethoc is more up to date and is in the mainline kernel. open_eth might be removed in the future. 

- Hippo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Kazu, 

You are incredible! Superb. 

- Hippo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

2. I want to know if there is anything slow down the handling of a 115200 baud uart. 

--- Quote End ---  

I understand that the non-FIFO UART receive does not work decently (loose characters) with more than some 2400 Baud. 

--- Quote Start ---  

4. it is a interface to the remote update ip core. please read the data sheet and driver code to find out. I've tried it yet. 

--- Quote End ---  

I suppose you did not try it yet ? 

I'll talk to Frank Storm about this and will try to find out if there is a way to enhance this to a secure way of updating the FPGA design and the Software via FTP. This will involve at least two copies of both in the flash and use a mechanism that starts a working one of them (the "old should work anyway, the "new" might be the result of a corrupted update).  

The Cyclone III does handle this for the FPGA design by hardware, regarding the software the bootloader needs to do this. 

So I suppose this needs a different boot loader but the "Application Selector".  

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Is this just another driver for the same hardware design ?  

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I Is this just another driver for the same hardware design ?  

--- Quote End ---  

Yes. 

- Hippo
0 Kudos