Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Reset the FPGA via JTAG

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Is there any tool to reset the Cyclone FPGA via JTAG (USB-Blaster) and force it to re-read the configuration from the EPCS? 

Problem is: I use quartus_pgm to download a simple NIOS in the Cyclone (quartus_pgm -c USB-Blaster -m JTAG -o P;file@1). Then, I load a flash file with an FPGA configuration and NIOS application (nios2-flash-programmer --device 1 -e --base=0x802800 --program file). 

If I simply use the option --go in nios2-flash-programmer, only the processor is reset; my new FPGA configuration is not loaded until I power the board off then on. 

So, is there something like "quartus_pgm -c USB-Blaster -o R;@1"??? (The @1 is important as I want to individually reset the FPGAs in a JTAG chain) 

Thanks in advance. 

Fernando
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you check the quartus_pgm -i option? See command line help.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, thanks. But it does not load from the configuration device; it just initializes the FPGA with the currently loaded configuration. 

:mad:
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

But it does not load from the configuration device; it just initializes the FPGA with the currently loaded configuration. 

--- Quote End ---  

I think, a reconfiguration request results in reloading the configuration from the hardware defined configuration source. I don't understand, how the programmer inititializes the FPGA without reloading the configuration. I thought, that it's the equivalent to the option "Initiate configuration after programming" in interactive programming.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know how it works, but I have one configuration in external flash and a different one is downloaded to the FPGA via quartus_pgm ...-i. After the download is finished, the FPGA executes the downloaded one. 

I decided to go the "hard way":  

-quartus_pgm simple_config.sof 

-nios2-flash-programmer complete_config+nios_application.flash 

-quartus_pgm complete_config.sof 

This way it restarts with the correct configuration. 

(I need this 'restart-without-power-cycle' for production programming and testing without operator intervention). 

Thanks anyway. 

BR 

Fernando
0 Kudos