Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20639 Discussions

MAX10 10M02SCE144C8G high current draw

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I recently soldered a MAX10 single 3.3v supply part (10M02SCE144C8G) onto a breakout board to run some experiments with. I connected all the IO supplies to 3.3v successfully loaded a "blinky" sof and pof using the internal oscillator via JTAG - and it works as expected. 

The problem I have is that the FPGA draws 200-220mA all the time even if erased (by the Quartus17 programmer via JTAG). The Max10 EPE and the Quartus power tool both suggest I should see _much_ lower current consumption when in user mode and pretty much idle. There is no appreciable VCCIOx current draw. 

The heat is being dissipated in the FPGA and I don't have a short on my PCB. 

I haven't found any logic function in the part which is broken. I set up a 2000 bit shift register to use 90% of the LEs and that worked as expected clocked from the internal oscillator (~116MHz IIRC) 

I have been through the PCG (pin connection guide) old altera branded and new intel branded and think I have connected the minimum I need. I have tried configuring all unused pins as inputs with pull ups and outputs driving ground & get the same current draw. 

The minimal connections I made are: 

all powers = 3v3 (+ decoupling caps) 

all grounds 

TCK, TDO, TMS, TDI to a jtag connector with pullups/downs as per UG-M10CONFIG 3-3 

nSTATUS,CONF_DONE,nCONFIG 10k pull up to VCCIO8 

LED on pin14 

I can think of 2 possibilities: 

1) There is some pin(s) I need must connect so some IO is oscillating or somesuch. 

2) I damaged the part during soldering. 

Does anyone have experience of similar issues? 

Can heat damage to the internal regulator cause these symptoms?  

Thanks, 

Chris
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

just to mention (as you said, you've soldered the device to a breakout board)... Did you also connect the exposed Pad "below" the package to GND like stated in the PinOut file?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Yes it is an EP adapter board and I confirmed I had a good connection by testing continuity between the ground plane (EP) and other FPGA ground pins before I connected those other ground pins. 

I measure ~16 ohms accross VCC_ONE to GND which would give me my 200mA+ current draw @3.3v by ohms law. This makes me think I damaged the part rather than it being misconfigured and/or inputs oscillating - but intosc, logic & FLASH work as expected & I have found no damaged function... 

Chris
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Not sure what happened to my first reply. I will try again. 

Yes the EP was soldered and connected to ground. I measured ~15ohms between VCC_ONE and GND which seems wrong so I took the part off. With it off I also measure 15 ohms so I think I must have damaged the on chip (single 3.3v supply FPGA) regulator when I fitted it the first time. So it does seem the part was damaged and not a pin connection thing. I assume it was heat damage. 

Chris
0 Kudos