Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20702 Discussions

Max II startup glitch

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi  

I have created a PCB using a Max II EPM240T100I5N for a state machine + logic. It works 100% except for the fact that the outputs are high for 100us in duration (1 clock cycle) at startup. The State machine startsup into a reset state where all outputs are explicitly forced to low at. Is there a Quartus setting that I haven't checked that suppresses the outputs at startup or is this something I will have to live with. Its not a trainsmash as the other systems which interface with the board have not yet initialised when the glitch occurs and therefore are incapable of responding or even detecting it, but I would like to sort out this issue nonetheless. The outputs are driving nchannel FETs with 10k pull downs at the gate. 

Any help would be appreciated 

Meng
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's very simple. According to the datasheet, MAX II I/O pins have pull-up resistors, that source up to 300 uA in unconfigured state. This also apply to the short intervall between power-up and entering user mode. Usually a 1-2k pull-down resistor is sufficient to override the weak pull-up. Another option is using active low outputs and external inverters.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In verilog HDL,you can use "initial"constructs to implement that. 

In setting->Analysis&Synthesis settings->more settings->Ignore Verilog initial constructs->off 

This can implement the power up initialization
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sounds like you misunderstood the problem. Initialization isn't an issue here. It's basically a question of hardware behaviour, not related to HDL programming.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Guys 

I suspected it was the pins tri-stating at startup, but I assumed there was a way to override this behavior. Probably not going to bother changing the pull-downs (no issues with the glitch yet) 

Many thanks for the advice 

Meng
0 Kudos