Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16557 Discussions

Problem of symbol edition in a project

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have a little problem of edition with symbol in Quartus II (version 9.0). Here is what I have done : 

- I create a project in "C:\MyProject

- I create a top bsf file and save it in "C:\MyProject\Modules\Top

- I create a function in vhdl and save it in "C:\MyProject\Modules\Myfunction) 

- I create the symbol corresponding to my function. Quartus puts it in "C:\MyProject". I move it to "C:\MyProject\Modules\MyFunction", where there is the vhdl file 

- I add my function in the top bsf file 

Now the problem. If I double clicked on the symbol of my function, Quartus open the vhd file. But if I want to edit the symbol, Quartus told me "Can't find Block Symbol File for Symbol "MyFunction" -- if the file exists, it is not located in the Altera-provided or user-defined librairies". 

So I go to the menu Assignments => Settings, in the category Libraries, and I add the folder MyFunction to the project librairies. 

But I still have the same problem for editing the symbol. Do I do something wrong or do I missed something ? 

Thanks in advance. 

Jérôme
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You could try specifically adding the "bsf" file as a source file for the project. I too would assume it would pick it up through the library search. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

I have a little problem of edition with symbol in Quartus II (version 9.0). Here is what I have done : 

- I create a project in "C:\MyProject

- I create a top bsf file and save it in "C:\MyProject\Modules\Top

- I create a function in vhdl and save it in "C:\MyProject\Modules\Myfunction) 

- I create the symbol corresponding to my function. Quartus puts it in "C:\MyProject". I move it to "C:\MyProject\Modules\MyFunction", where there is the vhdl file 

- I add my function in the top bsf file 

Now the problem. If I double clicked on the symbol of my function, Quartus open the vhd file. But if I want to edit the symbol, Quartus told me "Can't find Block Symbol File for Symbol "MyFunction" -- if the file exists, it is not located in the Altera-provided or user-defined librairies". 

So I go to the menu Assignments => Settings, in the category Libraries, and I add the folder MyFunction to the project librairies. 

But I still have the same problem for editing the symbol. Do I do something wrong or do I missed something ? 

Thanks in advance. 

Jérôme 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

can you post your project ? 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok. This morning that works. In fact I have to close the project and reopen it so that it works (I should test this simple thing yesterday). But that stays strange. 

Another question, is it possible to tell Quartus to search recursively in the folder project, to avoid to add each folder ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Ok. This morning that works. In fact I have to close the project and reopen it so that it works (I should test this simple thing yesterday). But that stays strange. 

Another question, is it possible to tell Quartus to search recursively in the folder project, to avoid to add each folder ? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi LETS, 

I had a brief talk with the Altera Guy's : 

If you want to use specific user assigned user libraries then you are required to specify each one manually as these will :mad: ...this ensures that projects are kept clean and do not pull in and undesired files. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Argh, bad news. Thanks for your answer. 

Else maybe you have better idea to organize big project. Me, I thought that to have a subfolder by design block was not bad, but maybe there is probably better or simpler way.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey LETS, 

I also use subfolders for each design block in my designs as it makes it easy to build up a project of sub-projects, each with their own test files etc. 

I agree that manually adding each file isn't great. Here is what I've tried to get around this, initially I wrote a tcl script which recursively added all vhdl files from a top directory, this worked reasonably well. I now have a qip file which lists the components I want for a given project (usually all of them), I like this approach as it is easy to customise what is included. The qip file is added the same way you would add a source file (but only once). 

I never bothered to include the symbols but I'm sure they could be added in the qip file (either manually or by scripting). 

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has found a simple uncluttered way to manage a project with a library of sub-components organised in separate folders. 

Cheers, 

-ADAM
0 Kudos