Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

issue in migrating old niosII designs into QuartusII 9.0

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a design compiled in QuartusII 7.2 with sp3 version. the design has niosII fast with memory controllers and LAN. i have the complete license of NiosII with QuartusII.  

i am finding issue when opening the same project in QuartusII 9.0 sp2 version. when the SOPC is opened it shows all the components upgraded from 7.2 to 9.0. i have a custom component for interfacing the external fifos. this component is shown as not found in Library.  

I tried settings the IP path Search to the folder in which the hw.tcl file is present and saved the system, but when i reopen it i find the same message that the component not found in library. 

i tried the following options : 

1. deleting the "db" folder in the project before opening in quartusII9.0 

2. deleting the custom component from the SOPC builder and creating a new component with the same .vhd file. 

when the complete system is compiled and a simple hello world is run on board, the niosII is not getting invoked and i am not able to see the "Hello from NiosII" message. 

i also tried opening the project in quartusII 9.0 and compiling without regenerating the system in 9.0, but still the same issue. 

can someone please suggest me? 

Thanks & regards, 

Shubha
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

first of all, if you have custom components that are included in your sopc design, then you will need to get the sopc builder working and generating this design before you continue to compile with quartus ... 

normaly it is almost no problem to upgrade from 7.2 to a newer version, well almost ... 

if your custom component is stored inside your project working folder then the sopc builder should find it automatically. 

if your custom component is stored anywhere else, you must add it via sopc builder -> tools -> options -> IP Search path as you already said. but then you could either close the sopc builder and reopen it or Menue File -> Refresh System 

with both methods your custom component must apear inside the system contents component library tree
0 Kudos