FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5933 Discussions

SD Card not working on DE1 board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I try to run the "DE1_SD_Card_Audio" demo from the supplied CD, using 2 different SD cards: 

- an old 16 Mb (!!!) SanDisk SD card 

- a brand new 4Gb SanDisk HSSD card 

I formatted both under DOS prompt with: 

FORMAT F: /FS:FAT (ie. FAT16) 

I then copied straight away the 3 .wav files from the directory "E1_demonstrations\music" from the CD, which are uncompressed, stereo 16-bit PCM audio sampled at 48kHz into the SD's root directory. 

But when I launch the demo, I get no sound, just a small glitch when I switch SW0 on/off. 

I tried two completely different projects (both .qpf are designed specifically for the DE1 board), making sure the nCEO is declared in the settings as a regular I/O pin (see this (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547) thread), which are using the SD card for storage (FAT16), but I cannot get them to read the SD card either. 

Anyone has this demo working on a DE1 board or can tell me what am I doing wrong? 

Regards, 

Michel
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

IIRC, the original version of the SD audio demo doesn't work. There is a fixed version at the Terasic web site. 

If it still doesn't work, try testing both features, SD and audio, separately.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you, I will give it a try! 

I thought that by taking the latest CD on Terasic site, I would get it altogether, but this isn't the case. 

I can tell that audio is working though, as the synthesizer demo does output sound. 

Michel
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Still doesn't work. 

However, it looks like a compatibility issue with both of my SD Cards: tracing down at the signal level, everything is working electronically, but I don't get the expected answer to the SEND_OP_CMD reset command (0x01 == "In idle state" or 0x05 == "In idle state + Invalid command" instead of 0x00). 

I will post my progress in this thread. 

Michel
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am a newbee to FPGA world. where is this demo ? 

I am trying to run SD card music play lab as on page 6-5 of Cyclone II starter Development Kit User Guide, but can't find the elf or c files of the project (to compile or run) when I start nios2-ide and switch to the workspace CII_Starter_SD_Card_Audio as directed on page 6-7.  

I have already downloaded the sof into it. 

All the files were installed from the accompanying CD. 

Please help. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Were you able to solve the issue? I'm working with a Kingston 4GB card and it's not showing as detected.

0 Kudos