Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16604 Discussions

Can't install byteblasterII LPT drivers on windows7 x64

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

My computer have windows7 pro 64-bit OS version. I need to use UP3 starterkit, but I can't install byteblasterII LPT drivers. When I use command line to install, then ocours following error: "can't start byteblaster service". I checked that parvdm.sys is missing and I can't find any place to download it. 

Unfortunately I don't have any USB based programmer. 

Is there any way to get that LPT programmer working with windows7? 

Maybe some other software to load configuration file to fpga? 

I have xilinx lpt drivers installed and for spartan3 everything works fine.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am having the exact same problem as yourself. 

I at first assumed fault with 7, probably a security policy blocking the installation but after checking the driver download page it seems the ByteBlaster (lpt) drivers don't work with any 64bit Windows OS. 

I tried installing them in the XP Mode VM but no luck. For the minute I am using an old laptop, eventually (when I get my board + JTAG cable working) to use this to run a JTAG server and connect my development desktop to it via ethernet. 

I know that the RC did bring up a number of warnings if an unsigned driver was installed and blocked so I don't believe it is this which stops the service running, though if you want to be sure you could sign it yourself (I couldn't find the actual drivers that bblpt installed but it seems you have). 

Other than that im sorry I couldn't be of more help, if I ever get it working ill post how I did it. 

EDIT: Still not working on the desktop however a tip when connecting to a remove server if you go this route: don't add it in Quartus, use the command line tool 'jtagconfig' to add it. I was having authentication problems and another post on this forum suggested using jtagconfig and it is now added successfully.
0 Kudos