Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

VHDL errors and question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! I am still learning vhdl and sorry if I made a question already answered on this forum. I am using Quartus II 8.1 web edition. 

I have 2 questions: 

1- I am trying to use the operators sll, srl, ror, and, (bitwise ones like in C) and I am getting compilation errors! For example, using this: 

res <= worda sll 2; (res type is std_logic_vector as well as worda) Error (10327): VHDL error at Shifter.vhd(35): can't determine definition of operator ""sll"" -- found 0 possible definitions.With this: 

a := a and X"0F"; (a type is integer) Error (10327): VHDL error at Multiplier.vhd(35): can't determine definition of operator ""and"" -- found 0 possible definitions.I am using this libs: 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.std_logic_arith.all; use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all;2- I would like to create a shifter, a block that can do the sll, srl, sla, sra, ror and rol. (I made some calcs to do this, because vhdl operators were giving me errors) I would like to shift it N times, so there is the word A and the N integer. I am doing it using a loop: 

-- sll while (con /= int and con < 255) loop aux(7 downto 1) := aux(6 downto 0); aux(0) := '0'; con := con + 1; end loop;This is taking like 5 minutes to compile using in my project as a block (component), is there a better way to do this? 

Thank you for attention!
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You have a couple of issues: 

1. You cant use sll on std_logic_vectors because the "sll" function does not exist for that type. You have to use it on unsigned/signed type from the numeric_std library. 

2. In VHDL, and integer is NOT an array of bits, so you cannot do bitwise operations on them. You have to convert the integer to an unsigned/signed or std_logic_vector type. 

3. You cannot use sll/rol etc if you use those libraries. Use numeric_std instead. 

4. I assune you're trying to produce synthesizable code? this is NOT going to work. Loops unroll when synthesized, and because your expression is not static (ie. a constant) it will complain. Loops are essentially N bits of hardware running in parrallel. 

Overall, I suggest you go and read up on digital circuit design before trying to do stuff in VHDL. It is NOT a programming language.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

VHDL libraries are typically using for loops to realize shifters and similar functions. To be synthesizable, the number of iterations must be finite (and not too large to produce meaningful code). It's also easy to write a wrapper function, that allows a shift operation on std_logic_vectors, based on the respective numeric lib. 

Generally, it's important to understand the difference between a shift by a fixed amount and a variable parameter. A fixed shift is nothing but a simple assignment of bits. You can write it as such without using libraries.  

res <= worda(worda'left-2 downto 0) & "00"; -- I use worda'left, cause I don't know the actual size 

A variable shift in contrast involves a multiplexer for each target bit, the effort depend on the possible range of the shift parameter.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Humm, thank you for the replies :p! 

I am trying to make a 8-bit signed adder (then I will make it a sub/adder), but I guess its working as a unsigned one, look at my code: 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.std_logic_signed.all; entity SubAdder is port( worda: in std_logic_vector (7 downto 0); wordb: in std_logic_vector (7 downto 0); addsub: in std_logic; res: out std_logic_vector (7 downto 0); overflow: out std_logic ); end SubAdder; architecture Func of SubAdder is begin process (worda,wordb,addsub) begin res <= worda + wordb; end process; end Func;But I guess its not working for negative numbers, should negative numbers be on the 2-complements form? Or the 8th bit '1' representing it as negative (+1)? I tried 81 + 01, it outputted 82 :p 

Thank you again :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unsigned and signed arithmatic are identical. Signed/unsigned is just a matter of representation. The actual implementation is the same. 

So x"81" + x"01" will ALWAYS output x"82" whether it it signed or unsigned. Just x"82" will represent +130 or -126
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The main problem you have is you're using std_logic_vectors for arithmatic. They are designed to just represent a collection of bits. They have no real meaning as unsigned or signed, and could be either. 

If you scrap std_logic_signed package, and instead use ieee.numeric_std instead, you get access to types unsigned and signed. 

So in your case, you could write your entity: 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; entity SubAdder is port( worda: in signed(7 downto 0); wordb: in signed(7 downto 0); addsub: in std_logic; res: out signed(7 downto 0); overflow: out std_logic ); end SubAdder; architecture Func of SubAdder is begin process (worda,wordb,addsub) begin if addsub = '1' then res <= worda + wordb; else res <= worda - wordb; end if; end process; end Func;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I got it now! Anyway I will need continue to represent negative numbers in my way (80 = -1; 81 = -2; etc), because I will need to change many things :p 

Thank you! 

EDITED--- 

How do I convert unsigned to std_logic_vector?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Maybe can use the function "conv_std_logic_vector" defined in library std_logic_arith.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, you have to use a simple type cast  

slv_signal <= STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(u_signal);
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can this type cast be interpreted as the function defined in the library ? They have the same meaning or different? Can it be used all the times?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's not a function. it's a type conversion, see VHDL IEEE 1076 paragraph 7.3.5. It uses a type or subtype specification and is only possible between "closely related" types, in this case bitvectors of same length.

0 Kudos