Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Modelsim can not find "altsyncram"

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all, I am using Modelsim for simulation, 

Modelsim says" Instantiation of 'altsyncram' failed, the design unit was not found", even though 'altsyncram' is in "Altera_mf" library, listed on the "library Panel". 

What should I do? 

Thank you very much! 

Other errors: "Instantiation of 'oper_selector' failed, the design unit was not found", there is a .ocp file in altmemphy-library, what does it do? should it be included in Modelsim?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Modelsim says" Instantiation of 'altsyncram' failed, the design unit was not found", even though 'altsyncram' is in "Altera_mf" library, listed on the "library Panel". 

What should I do? 

Thank you very much! 

Other errors: "Instantiation of 'oper_selector' failed, the design unit was not found", there is a .ocp file in altmemphy-library, what does it do? should it be included in Modelsim? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

did you include the library in your simulation ? Seeing the library in the library panel does not mean that they are included. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Could you tell me how to include? how to check? 

Thank you very much! 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

did you include the library in your simulation ? Seeing the library in the library panel does not mean that they are included. 

Kind regards 

GPK 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

# get a proper makefile 

exec vmake work > Makefile 

# Run it to compile what needs to be compiled 

make 

# Start simulation 

vsim -L altera_mf_ver -L lpm_ver -L cycloneiii_ver -L cycloneii_ver work.dut_tb 

After those you can simply do: 

make; restart -f; run -all
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What should I do? 

Thank you very much! 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello binpersonal, 

I also met this problem. Have you fixed it? and How do you solve this problem?  

thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also met this problem.  

I am using modelsim in a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx. 

Also i am compiling verilog files (and simulating them) in command line. 

I fixed it using the following command (after all necessary compilations): 

vsim -c -t 1ns -quiet -L $(MEGAFUNCTIONS) work.RomTests -do "run 1000000 1ns; quit" 

where MEGAFUNCTIONS should be your path to "altera_mf", which includes all megafunctions from altera: 

[installation path]/altera10.0/modelsim_ae/altera/verilog/altera_mf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Could you tell me how to include? how to check? 

--- Quote End ---  

--- Quote Start ---  

I also met this problem. Have you fixed it? and How do you solve this problem?  

--- Quote End ---  

To resolve this problem you need to specify the right libraries when you are trying to simulate in ModelSim. 

The breif steps are  

1. Compile the testbench code <testbench.v> , it gets included in your 'work' library. 

2. Select 'Simulate' -> 'Start Simulation' from the menu. 

3. Click on the 'Libraries' tab in the new popup window and press 'Add' to include the 'altera_mf_ver' library (if you are working with Verilog) to the 'Search Libraries First (-Lf)' 

4. Finally, select your testbench from the 'Design' tab. 

The design should simulate now. 

I have included some screenshots for assistance.
migry_tech
Beginner

Many thanks for the explanation listed as the 4 steps above. I am new to Modelsim-Altera and this solved the problem. I am now simulating my memory successfully, however I got caught out because I registered both the address and q without realising. Simulation and google(!) helped me find the bug.

--migry

0 Kudos