Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Flash Programmer Trouble, Nios IDE 9.1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi ,  

I am having trouble running the Flash Programmer from Nios IDE 9.1.  

I cannot select an .sopcinfo file because the Select file dialog doesnt appear, when I press the "..." button.  

I also cannot select the bsp settings because its the same button. 

I am running windows 7 (64 bit) and jre6u17-windows -x64.  

Is this a common problem? 

Is Nios IDE 9.1 in general ready for windows 7 or an 64-bit OS in general?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Officially Altera does not support Windows 7 at all. 

64-bit XP and Vista are not supported either for NIOS tools (no matter what Quartus readme.txt claims). Altera's answer was to check the supported Windows from Altera's download pages ... 

However, I'm also using Windows 7 x64, but because of many problems with the Altera's 9.1 tools, I'm still using 9.0 tools which work nicely. 

First I was a bit confused because you used "9.1 IDE" name. In 9.1 the "IDE" refers to the legacy NIOS development tool, which is still available under Legacy NIOS tools folder under Altera's start menu folder. 

This new development tools is usually referred as NIOS 9.1 EDS. 

I've tried Flash Programmer in my Windows 7 x64 and the Select dialogs open OK in my system. So perhaps there is something broken in your 9.1 installation or there's a conflict with other Eclipse or Java applications? 

You might want to try running the new NIOS 9.1 EDS with "Run as Administrator" option, because otherwise some dialogs and tools required for BSP generation won't work ... 

If you're using EPCS flash device, please not that the EPCS flash programming is broken in 9.1 (see "EPCS booting problem" thread http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19496 ), so you might want to switch back to 9.0 ... 

Regards, Jari
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

i know this problem, i have installed Quartus 9.1 and NIOS 9.1 as administrator and with vista (sp2) compatibility mode- by starting both programs you have to use the same adjustments 

have fun 

best regards 

steve
0 Kudos