FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

DE0-Nano-SoC File transfer?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All, 

I have my DE0-Nano-SoC up and running. I am able to connnect PuTTY to COM3, and log into the uClinux environment. 

How do I transfer a compiled file from my local computer running SoC EDS 14.1 to the DE0-Nano-Soc board? 

Thanks in advance, 

SOLVED: 

Here's what you got to do: 

1. Start PuTTY and connect via USB to the DE0 Nano Soc board (eg. COM3) 

2. Once you have established communication via USB, connect a CAT-5 cable from the board to your router, then execute this command: ifup eth0;ifconfig eth0 

3. If all goes well, you should see something like this: 

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 9e:b5:5e:c1:ba:e1 

inet addr:192.168.0.11 Bcast:0.0.0.0 Mask:255.255.255.0 

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 

RX packets:98 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 

TX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 

RX bytes:6444 (6.2 KiB) TX bytes:1570 (1.5 KiB) 

Interrupt:152 

4. Make note of the IP address (eg 192.168.0.11) 

5. Type the command passwd, follow the prompts, and set up a password for root (eg. terasic) 

6. Open Cygwin from embedded tools provided by Altera SoC EDS 

7. At the Cygwin prompt, enter this command: scp file_to_transfer root@ip_address_from_step_3:/home/root/ 

8. You will be prompted for the password you created in step 5 on the Nano SoC board. 

9. File transfer will commence... you may need to acknowledge a security warning about the destination not having the proper certificates or security... this is normal. 

10. Verify the file transfer by typing ls command in PuTTY terminal
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you have a FAT partition in your SD card, you can copy the file from your PC (assuming Windows) to that partition, boot the board using the same card, fatload the partition and then copy/run the program.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If you have a FAT partition in your SD card, you can copy the file from your PC (assuming Windows) to that partition, boot the board using the same card, fatload the partition and then copy/run the program. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for your reply. I will try that as a solution... 

What I would ultimately like to do is connect PuTTY to the serial port of the DE0-Nano board and transfer the file that way. I know it can be done as long as there is a IP address, but I wonder if there is a way to transfer files from COM3 of the PC to root@socfpga:/home/root via USB serial port?
0 Kudos