Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16545 Discussions

Install fails silently - Quartus & ModelSim on Windows 7 64x bit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was wondering if anybody could help figure out what is wrong.  

I've downloaded Quartus (91_quartus_free.exe) twice, and Model Sim (91_modelsim_ase_windows.exe) once and they don't seem to work.  

When I double click the installer, I get the standard "Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make change to your computer?" prompt, to which I say Yes.  

After that, nothing happens. The prompt goes away, I check Task Manager and there is no new process. I've also tried running as Administrator and in XPSP2 compatibility mode.  

My box is a Windows 7 Ultimate, (64bit) fresh out of the install (I just installed Windows & nothing else about 3 days ago). I've checked that Windows Installer service is running, and I've not disabled any services.  

Can anybody help work out what's wrong? Is there a log / debug mode for the installer? 

Cheers, 

Ben
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This probably isn't much help, but... 

Quartus 9.1 web edition installed for me without any issue on Windows 7 Home Premium x64. 

Here are the md5 sums of my downloads if you want to compare to yours: 

031cc810817c61cca7c3be3d0fb143d5 *91_modelsim_ase_windows.exe 6f158de467f4913eacc25446293cb36c *91_nios2eds_windows.exe 5246c6d404b376d026f6116d28f61afe *91_quartus_free.exe
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Kev that was spot on, I checked the MD5 hashes and they were off for all the files.  

Opening in WinHex revealed that the EXE header is fine, but about 1/3rd into each file is full of nulls (0x00) going all the way to the end of file.  

I downloaded using MetaProducts Download Accelorator on another machine, which must have been where the error was introduced.  

I'm downloading now just using Firefox nativly. That will probably work, but I live in Australia so it'll be hours before I know!  

Thanks Kev!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi i have same problem as you have .i can not install any thing in my windows 7 pro .help me

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

QII 9.1 is not officially supported in Win7. Try to download & install QII10.0 which can be supported in win7.

0 Kudos