FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

88e1111 loopback

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hai all, 

i'm using ml505 board. when i tried to put the ethernet phy (marvel 88e1111) in loopback mode, its not happening. the data i sent through tx lines is not coming through rx lines. i followed the steps described in data sheet to program the phy to be in loopback mode. i could read and write the registers in phy through mdio interface. but its not getting loopbacked. 

any help appriciated. 

Jose
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Jose 

Did you ever get this to work? I'm having a similar problem. 

Tony
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can you please answer this simple question Marvel Alaska 88e1111 is software programmable? or hardware programmable only by changing low high states on its pin?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I also met the 88e1111 loopback problem. What i got is that the interface has already been able to ping out, but if I set it to loopback mode by  

first, write 0x8000 to reset  

second, write 0x6100 to force loopback. 

but the PHY status register always indicate the link is down with value (0x7949). 

the PHY control register is already (0x6100) 

the bit 2 of the status register should be 1 after PHY set to loopback, right? what's the problem with what i met?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

can you please answer this simple question Marvel Alaska 88e1111 is software programmable? or hardware programmable only by changing low high states on its pin? 

--- Quote End ---  

It's software programmable I think.
0 Kudos