Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Nios II/s Doesn't Work w/ JTAG?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey everyone, 

I'm having some trouble here. I have made a system using SOPC builder, containing
  • 1 NiosII CPU 

• 1 tri-state Avalon bridge 

• 1 CFI flash memory module 

• 1 DDR SDRAM module 

• JTAG/UART module 

• A mutex 

• sysid
and it's running the simple 'Hello World!" program. 

This is a test system to try before moving on to a multi-processor system, which si why you see the mutex, sysid etc.. 

I am doing simulation only, using modelsim-ase. 

The problem I am having is that using the Nios II/e and Nios II/f simulates the program fine. 

but when I use a Nios II/s, the JTAG simply does not work. It does not output anything. The only thing that happens with JTAG when using the II/s is it writes a 0x1. The Nios2 appears to be stuck reading and writing to data memory (SDRAM). I am unsure exactly what it's doing or writing, so any sort of literature that would help clear that up would help. 

I am unsure of the problem. I can reproduce this easily by simply changing the Nios II to /s from /e or /f, regenerating, recompiling in Nios EDS and resimulating. 

I have not seen any errors or warnings in SOPC builder, Nios2 EDS or modelsim. 

Am I missing something here? What is different about the /s? Isn't it supposed to be a mix between the /e and /f in terms of area and speed?
0 Kudos
0 Replies