Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Arbitrary Waveform

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I need to improve the Linearisation of a VCO, For that i need to provide arbitrary waveform see attached between voltage 0 to 5VDC (it is like Triangle waveform but not the same). 

I think to insert the values to a PROM (look-up table) and with D/A the CPLD/FPGA will produce the waveform. 

Please advice. 

Regards, 

Doron
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, it surely works. To select the design details, a specification for resolution, accuracy, speed would be useful. You also didn't mention what's the source of the control signal.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, it surely works. To select the design details, a specification for resolution, accuracy, speed would be useful. You also didn't mention what's the source of the control signal. 

--- Quote End ---  

The period of the waveform is 250uSec and it is cyclic. 

I would like that the Altera device will provide will provide this waveform or to put a D/A at the output of the device. 

Can CPLD Do the the job ? 

Please advice which simplified device will do the job ? 

Thanks, 

Doron
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

if the voltage waveform is between 0VDC to +5VDC then lets calculate the resolution with 2^8: 

5000mV/(2^8) = 19.5mV. 

This the voltage Resolution. 

Let me know if you need more data. 

Thanks, 

Doron
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You will need a D/A converter on the board - FPGA only have digital output pins.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I took as granted, that an external DAC would be necessary with any programmable logic device. 8-Bit amplitude resolution defines the number of data bits, a second design parameter is the number of LUT entries. 

A CPLD must implement a ROM in logic cells, most smaller CPLD won't have enough resources to represent an arbitrary look-up table. But the logic is minimized by the design compiler, in some cases it may be sufficient. I suggest to define the table coding and let Quartus try to fit it to different CPLD.  

FPGAs have internal memory, that can be used as a ROM, so it's much easier with it. As another point, at low and medium speed, a PWM or SD modulator 1-Bit DAC can be used with a low-pass to generate the waveform.
0 Kudos