Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

Netlist writer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi I am using the SOPC builder to create a NIOS based system. I wanted to use an open source tool minSSTA to perform timing analysis. The tool accepts .bench: circuit netlist file 

- Here is a brief description of format of .bench file: ( from the tools readme file ) 

It starts by declaring the primary inputs/outputs. As an example, 

INPUT(G0) -- 'G0' is a primary input (PI) 

OUTPUT(G17) -- the output of gate 'G17' is a primary output (PO). 

Since the PO name is not explicitly given, in MinnSSTA, the POs 

are named after the gate providing the signal, e.g., POG17. 

The netlist is described by a set of equation-like descriptions. For example, 

G10 = NOR(G14, G11) 

means that G10 is of NOR-type, and it has 2 inputs which are outputs of G14 and 

G11, respectively. 

So my question is can i get gate level netlist from the quartus tool in any format. I can write a script to convert it  

Also I am not able to view the nios cpu in rtl viewer, so if use it in my design will i atleast be able to see its gate level netlist.  

Thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi I am using the SOPC builder to create a NIOS based system. I wanted to use an open source tool minSSTA to perform timing analysis. The tool accepts .bench: circuit netlist file 

- Here is a brief description of format of .bench file: ( from the tools readme file ) 

It starts by declaring the primary inputs/outputs. As an example, 

INPUT(G0) -- 'G0' is a primary input (PI) 

OUTPUT(G17) -- the output of gate 'G17' is a primary output (PO). 

Since the PO name is not explicitly given, in MinnSSTA, the POs 

are named after the gate providing the signal, e.g., POG17. 

The netlist is described by a set of equation-like descriptions. For example, 

G10 = NOR(G14, G11) 

means that G10 is of NOR-type, and it has 2 inputs which are outputs of G14 and 

G11, respectively. 

So my question is can i get gate level netlist from the quartus tool in any format. I can write a script to convert it  

Also I am not able to view the nios cpu in rtl viewer, so if use it in my design will i atleast be able to see its gate level netlist.  

Thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

you can choose under EDA tool setting -> Timing Analysis -> custom. 

Quartus writes out a gatelevel netlist and a SDO file. The sdo file contains the timing information. The required libraries for the altera elements can be found under: 

<Quartus install Dir>\quartus\eda\synthesis. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi I am using a Nios 2 CPU, will the generated .vo netlist contain primitives describing the CPU as well as it is encrypted.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi I am using a Nios 2 CPU, will the generated .vo netlist contain primitives describing the CPU as well as it is encrypted. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

when you use a time limited NIOS version you could not write out a <>.vo file. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your quick response 

I am able to generate the .vo file, does this mean that I have the license for the files. 

Can I make quartus synthesize the nios2 ip to a simple library instead of fpga primitives. Or is there any eda tool which can take the output from altera synthesis and synthesize the ip into a simpler library of gates. 

Are the modules provided in eda/sim_lib/stratixiii_atoms.v synthesizabe or are they just functional models which can be used in Model Sim
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks for you quick response 

I am able to generate the .vo file, does this mean that I have the licence for the files. 

Can I make quartus synthesize the nios2 ip to a simple library instead of fpga primitives. Or is there any eda tool which can take the output from altera synthesis and synthesize the ip into a simpler library of gates. 

Are the modules provided in eda/sim_lib/stratixiii_atoms.v synthesizabe or are they just functional models which can be used in Model Sim 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

as far as I know they are only usable for functional simulation. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have any suggestions as to what would be the easiest way for me to generate a simple netlist in terms of and, or not primitives from a Nios 2 based design.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Do you have any suggestions as to what would be the easiest way for me to generate a simple netlist in terms of and, or not primitives from a Nios 2 based design. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

I have no idea how you can get your netlist. Sorry. 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos