Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

missing waveform editor on QuartusII 9.1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have installed QII 9.1 on linux and i have not see Waveform Editor tool on New File/Others menu 

¿where is it? 

I have read than quartus ii 10.0 don't support Waveform Editor but 9.1 does support it 

thanks
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

are you using the Quartus II Web Edition for Linux? i don't think its included since this version only has the new beta GUI, not the old one (which is why we finally have web edition linux).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

are you using the Quartus II Web Edition for Linux? i don't think its included since this version only has the new beta GUI, not the old one (which is why we finally have web edition linux). 

--- Quote End ---  

Wow, since the Web edition is used primarily in academia (poor students), releasing it without the waveform editor makes it about a useful in a learning environment as a pile of dog poo! There are certainly textbooks, and lab books that rely on this feature and Altera released it anyway? WTF? I was going to use this version at home for a Digital Logic class I'm currently taking. And no, we don't use Windoz in this household! 

Guess I will be spending a lot of extra time at school. 

Thanks Altera (NOT!!):confused: 

Scott Warner
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the next version of Quartus (Subscription and Web Edition) will not include the waveform editor or simulator at all.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To Scott, 

I was involved in academia environment, and we NEVER used waveform editor. 

So you conclusions about the usefullness of the linux version are wrong.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

To Scott, 

I was involved in academia environment, and we NEVER used waveform editor. 

So you conclusions about the usefullness of the linux version are wrong. 

--- Quote End ---  

Well then, your were obviously not using the same text book, or lab manual
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So what did you use to input your logic diagrams?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HDL testbenches

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeap, HDL. It's the best way.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

not so. Try and move chunks of time with 20 waveforms around with HDL - easy in the waveform editor, really hard in HDL. Also you can't see the time relationship, and if you are a visual person, you miss the nuamce with HDL. It is sad this is gone.

0 Kudos