Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

make: *** No rule to make target problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm receiving this error in Nios: 

Compiling alt_uncached_free.c... 

Compiling alt_uncached_malloc.c... 

Compiling alt_unlink.c... 

make: *** No rule to make target `obj/alt_up_parallel_port.o', needed by `libLab5_70_2_source_syslib.a'. Stop. 

Build completed in 82.86 seconds 

When I try to compile my syslib project. It's choking on the altera_up_avalon_parallel_port. Everything seems to be fine in the Quartus compile and in SOPC, but it won't get past this. I've tried both 'custom' and 'expansion header' in SOPC just in case. 

From previous posts I've seen, I've uninstalled an old version of Cygwin and did a completely clean reinstall of both Quartus 9.1 and Nios 9.1. There are no spaces in any of the dir names. 

I'm using a DE2-70 and the latest (I think) version of the parallel port ip (9.0). 

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks. 

Robert 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same problem on ubuntu 8.04 with quartus/nios 9.0 sp2!  

Creating generated_all.mk... 

Creating system.h... 

Compiling crt0.S... 

make: *** No rule to make target `obj//lib/driver/irq.o', needed by `libmc0_syslib.a'. Stop. 

Build completed in 12.575 seconds 

I also have no spaces in the path and compiling the processors seems to be ok!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you did a full clean of all projects and it doesn't resolve it, then try this: Delete the syslib project entry and say yes to delete files in the project. Do a clean of the main project. Recreate the syslib (File -> New -> choose new syslib). You may want to print a screen shot of the existing syslib dialog if you've made changes you want to keep. 

Bill
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

this was not solving my problem! :( 

In addition you need to know that my nios2 processor has a self written module. This module needs this irq.o file and several others. 

How is it now possible to say nios2 that this files are (uncompiled) in a special external folder.  

When i create a processor in sopc_builder without this self written module compiling the lib works file! 

Thanks in advance 

Thomas
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I solved the problem! It was a project specific thing. Forgot to set an environment variable!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi tmair, 

I have the same problem...no rule to make target 

Can you tell me what exactly you did to solve the problem? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i don't think that it will help you because it was really a special situation i had in my project! 

I have a self written nios2 modul in my design and some self written drivers! My Problem was that the path to this driver was wrong! 

This Path was specified in my project folder under lib/wrapper/avalon/HAL/src/component.mk 

If you also have this kind of situation you can check if all entries in this file are correct :) otherwise i can't help you!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i dont know what is the problem... 

but the real problem that i cannot start an example hello_world project in nios....  

doing the building of the project, then i got this no rule to make target 'obj/alt_irq_register.o' 

Thanks for helping and i will search maybe i find smth
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hm I remember that the problem can also be that you have some spaces in the path from your quartus installation! Because the file you mentioned is a standard library so i think something is wrong with your installation or your system paths!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the problem that i was working with version 9...and evryrhing was working good.. 

Except one thing includes.h...smth like this... i read on the internet maybe the version is the problem.. 

so i changed the version to 10...and i cannot do any project coz of this build stuff 

also, i dont have spaces in the path
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I had the same problem. The reason was that I clicked on NO, when I was ask to set the environmental variable during the start of the Nios II IDE. If you use different version of the IDE on one PC. Always click yes to the set the environmental variable after you switched the IDe version.

0 Kudos