Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Troubles in running Linux MMU on NDK 2C35:

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I'm trying to run Linux on Altera's NDK 2C35 and encounter some troubles. 

- on first, I had to rename the RAM device from "ddr_sdram0" to "ddr_sdram" 

- on 2d, I had compilation errors because "console.c" wanted the uart to be named "uart" instead of "uart1". 

Anyway, after having modied those settings, I succeeded to boot with a JTAG console, but no way to make my system using the Altera UART console. 

I don't know if things have changed since uClinux (I haven't been able to find the wiki that explain UART console setting), but even in desactivating "JTAG uart support", I have to launch nios2-terminal where I can see the boot traces beetwen "console [early0] enabled" / "turn off boot console early0". 

Worse, when I select again JTAG UART + console, and uart support, "echo foo >/dev/tty0" or 1 gives "No such device or address" 

What do I wrong? 

TIA, 

Fred
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suppose that does not solve the problem, but the ALTERA UART will not work decently with Linux, as it needs too low interupt latency on receivie, You need to use the FIFOED UART. (It uses the same Kernel driver.) 

-Michael
0 Kudos