Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

de2 board implimenting Megafunction ram functions

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Still learing on how to use the system. 

I am using a de2 board as my development board. I have written a program which uses various Altsyncram for storing data from my program. 

Do you have to set up the ram on the DE2 board to use it in your application ?? 

When i run it on the simulator all appears fine and i can see the data values stored and changing, but when i run in on the board it look like it does not store any data and it is not using any ram.  

I have set up both hex and mif files for the ram in my program. 

There is no cpu or anything flash on my program, just ins out and bits of memory to store data. 

Not sure what you have to set up to get the de2 to set up memory so the program will use this I guess i am missing something basic !!! 

All i need to do is store some values in ram and be able to read and write to them in real time. 

I am reading values in from a serial line device not (rs232) 57 bits of info from 200 different devices, and storing these values, moving some of the bits about and re outputting them onto another serial line. 

I have set up the megafunction rams with 3 differnt mif files. 

As I said if i run the system in the simulator i can see the data in the memory slots and see it changing with different input samples, but when i run it on a live system i get nothing out on 7 seg displays,  

I have set up the 7 seg displays to read the values from the ram locations, i have tested these with counters etc so i know they are working if there is data there but the ports just sit at zero whe i use it to read ram locations. 

The question is do i have to or how do i to set up the sram or internal ram to use it for storage of these values, how do i get my mif files or hex files into the ram.  

I have 3 sets of storage for the various data 2 @256x8 {2K} and 1 @256x64.{16K} 

As far as i can see everything is working apart from the data going in and out of the memory locations. 

yours 

jan
0 Kudos
0 Replies