Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Interference between JTAG Programmer and NIOS II Console

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've noticed some contention between the JTAG Programmer and NIOS II Console. 

Case 1: 

1. Open NIOS IDE 

2. Open Quartus Programmer (by pressing Ctrl-8) and download a .sof 

3. Close Programmer window 

4. Try to run a Nios II .elf file 

Result: NIOS II console will not show printfs(), and also sometimes I will get a byte-stream error 

Case 2: 

1. Run Nios II .elf from NIOS IDE, which automatically opens the Nios II Console 

2. Finish running 

3. Try to run the Programmer from Quartus 

Result: Programmer says someone else is using the JTAG 

How do I get these two to co-operate without always having to close Eclipse (Nios IDE)? 

Thanks, Peter
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The second case is known. You can't program a SOF into the FPGA while the blaster is in use. 

The first case is new to me. Usually the nios2-download app detects that the programmer is using the cable and waits until the programmer is finished then downloads the elf file and launches the console. Never had an issue here. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Jake, 

FYI, I'm running Quartus II 9.1 on Win 7 64-bit. 

I'm never trying to run the programmer and nios2 terminal at once. I always close one before trying the other. But I still get these errors. 

I think my nios2-download app is downloading ok; it's the nios2 terminal that won't display, and also get a bytestream error if I try a second time, when this issue arises. 

Do you do everything through cmd-line utilities? I'm exclusively doing everything thru the Nios IDE at the moment. 

-- Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I typically use the IDE.  

I'm still on XP. I have to assume that Windows 7 64-bit is part of your issue. No use having a fancy new car if there aren't any roads to drive it on. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

;) 

Ok well it's not a huge deal to close/open the IDE after each program, but it is slight annoying. 

Thanks for your input.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just in case some one else has this problem, it looks like its not a Win 7 problem. The gui has a "stop" button on the Nios console. I'm not sure if I didn't see it yesterday, but anyways I can siwtch between the programmer and IDE now without issue.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I may have a similar issue here. When I run an elf (as nios ii hardware), The process will stuck at 57% for long time before the console shows the download status, and of course the run result won't show up until it finishes download.  

I am running QII 9.1 and nios2eds 9.1 on xp.
0 Kudos