Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

Numonyx Flash Address Pin Confusion

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have been working with a Cyclone III starter kit. It has a 128P30 parallel flash, in the "Easy BGA" package. According to the datasheet, address numbering starts at A1, and that is connected to pin PADD0, to operate in 16-bit mode. The address pins for the 128P30 are (23:1). According to AN386, this is the correct connection for this Numonyx Flash with 16-bit mode. 

Now, I am planning to migrate to the same chip in the SCSP package, a smaller BGA package. In this case, pin A0 is the LSB, and the pins go from (22:0). Now, how do I go about connecting this?  

My confusion arises from my connection to the SOPC CFI flash, which gives address pins of (23:0), and pin 0 is given a virtual connection. pin 1 of the SOPC flash is then connected to E12 on the FPGA which is PADD0... 

So... do I ignore the info given in AN386, since obviously the pinouts are different? I need to (a) be able to use the flash in AP config mode, and (b) use it for my NIOS II code and as non-volatile storage during operation. 

I may be overthinking, but I dont want to waste a board spin! Thanks! 

Oh, and yes, I absolutely need the extra space given by the smaller SCSP package...
0 Kudos
0 Replies