Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

Altera's timing requirements equations.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm reading from the Quartus II Handbook Version 9.1 Volume 3 Chapter 10 Page 10-33 Figures 10-24 and Equation 10-3. 

In these equations are two time values for which there is no given source, they are 'latch' and 'launch'. Without these values the time requirements cannot be calculated. Reading the documentation these values cannot be zero but also following the equations they are clearly not any of the described values in Figure 10-24. 

So what are the sources for 'latch' and 'launch'?:confused:  

I've shown this to my colleagues and they are as stumped as I. 

Are these equations bunk? 

Please pay close attention to the Figure as you answer the first question. It does look like the answer should be clear but as you apply the Equations to the Figure it falls apart. If both 'latch' and 'launch' are in the Figure then they should not be in the equations. 

[latch /= dst.utsu ; launch /= board.srcclk + src.clk +src.utco + src.out; 

If they are then the equations are double time or zero if negative!]:confused: 

LATER ADDITION: 

Okay, I read Chapter 10 first to begin working from the Classic Analyzer to TimeQuest. I am now reading Chapter 8 and find that my second question is true, the equations in Chapter 10 are bunk! 

In Chapter 8 they refer to Launch "edge" and Latch "edge". Even here I can only see the Launch Edge as time 0ns on any analysis of slack, or in Chapter 10 the timing requirements. The Latch Edge could be even be considered (if you wish to do this to yourself) a negative value that occurred too early but the Launch Edge is always time 0ns! So what is the the Latch Edge? It is - and always is! - the time from the Launch Edge (0ns) to the time the Latch Edge occurs. 

So in Chapter 10 what are 'launch' and 'latch'? 

In figure 10-24 'launch' is always 0ns and 'latch' is the period of the clk! 

Why are the equations bunk? 

Simply because neither term is defined nor clearly explained! Gobbledy-Gook = ERROR! These are timing requirement calculations which should only be done on single cycle timing. If you attempt to do them on multi-cycle timing then you are doing your own timing analysis and not calculating the timing requirement!:p  

I would really like to discuss this with someone!:cool:
0 Kudos
0 Replies