Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

pulse width to serial conversion

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I am struggling with my project. 

The system generates a set of 10 different pulses at the same time and I need to output them sequentially one after the other as a serial stream ,i have tired using fifo or shift regs but not getting very far. 

Wonder if anybody can help point me in the right direction ??? 

many thanks  

jan
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Pulsewidth is basically an analog signal. Buffering of pulsewidth information and resending it delayed, which is apparently necessary for your design, involves time discretization as a first step. You have to decide about a resolution and have to provide a sufficient fast clock for pulsewidth measurement. You must also specify an supported upper pulsewidth bound. In other words, start with a clear specification.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Pulsewidth is basically an analog signal. Buffering of pulsewidth information and resending it delayed, which is apparently necessary for your design, involves time discretization as a first step. You have to decide about a resolution and have to provide a sufficient fast clock for pulsewidth measurement. You must also specify an supported upper pulsewidth bound. In other words, start with a clear specification. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi thanks for that  

maybe i need to make it clearer the pulse width i am generating is in my program so for a given digital input i am creating a set of 10 different widths of pulse as per the diagram eg 300us , 800us etc, i need to just have each pulse follow on from each other as a serial output i.e to convert the parallel data to serial conversion. I have tried doing it as as staged ripple counter so when one finishes the next stage starts which works but i need to be able to store the origional data pulse so it will output at the right time when that stage is selected. 

i hope this makes a bit more sense 

jan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You may want to sketch an example of the serialized stream. If you are generating the pulses yourself, they don't need to be generated "at the same time".

0 Kudos