Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

How to boot nios from CFI flash on Stratix III dev. kit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have a Stratix III development kit and have been trying to boot nios from CFI flash without success. The documentation just talks about creating a .pof from a .sof to configure FPGA from CFI flash but no mention about nios booting from CFI flash. I have a sopc with flash_tristate_bridge and ext_flash components among others, the nios reset vector is pointing to ext_flash. Reviewing other kit examples I have seen that they used another custom max2 CPLD component connected to the flash_tristate_bridge. Well these are the steps I follow: 

1. Follow the steps mentioned in stratixIII_3sl150_dev_user_guide to program a .pof into flash. 

2. Use nios flash programmer to program a nios software into CFI flash. 

3. According to nios IDE console everything seems to be programmed fine but once done I press reset_config button and the red led flashes also after a powe off power on cycle. 

Is there any step by step guide to boot nios from CFI on Stratix III dev. kit? 

Any advice would be very appreciated. 

Thanks in advance, 

Regards.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

i try boot the zImage after power-on on stratix II board and without success too. 

Something is descripted on http://www.nioswiki.com/operatingsystems/uclinux/flashprogrammer 

but it works only: 

Using Altera Nios Dev board, Cyclone II 2C35 , standard example, find out and change the sof path, and cfi base below.  

Good luck 

Jan Naceradsky, Czech Republic
0 Kudos