Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Modified default value of generic parameter does not trigger correct make on Q17 ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

The following module intializes the parameter of ent_bug 'v' with value 1 and the second one instantiates the first module and sends the output to a 7SEG display of a DE0: 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; entity ent_bug is generic(v : integer := 1); port(result : out std_logic_vector(3 downto 0)); end ent_bug; architecture arch_bug of ent_bug is begin result <= std_logic_vector(to_unsigned(v,4)); end;  

and 

library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; entity ent_main is port( CLOCK_50 : in std_logic; HEX5 : out std_logic_vector(6 downto 0) ); end ent_main; architecture arch_main of ent_main is signal bugVal : std_logic_vector(3 downto 0); begin ENTB: entity work.ent_bug(arch_bug) port map(result=>bugVal); SEG5: entity work.ent_led7seg(arch_led7seg) port map(data=>bugVal,leds=>HEX5); end arch_main;  

The code above results in '1' on the7seg of my DE0 correctly. 

However if i Change and save: 

generic(v : integer := 5);  

=> I keep getting '1' on my DE0 7 Seg display.  

And if I delete the Db and Incremental_db directory of my project and recompile,  

I get '5' on the display (= correct) ?? 

I have the impression that quartus 17.0 is not recompiling/linking my modified file and sticks to the result of the previous compile of the file. 

Is there someting I did oversee (settings ?) or is this something Quartus is not supposed to do ? 

(both files are included in the project in the order presented above, the result was reproduced in multiple instances) 

Best Regards, 

Johi.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The value of generic is meant to be passed when you instantiate the design: 

ENTB: entity work.ent_bug(arch_bug)  

generc map( ...) 

port map(result=>bugVal 

);
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The value of generic is meant to be passed when you instantiate the design: 

ENTB: entity work.ent_bug(arch_bug)  

generc map( ...) 

port map(result=>bugVal 

); 

--- Quote End ---  

yes and no. If a generic isnt assigned, it is supposed to take the default. 

I suspect this is a quartus bug not checking for changes in defaults when it recompiles code. I seem to remember someone else posting this same problem. 

I would raise a ticket with altera over this.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think adding generic map is just quick, easy and avoids trouble of raising SR then waiting years for a fix.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have seen the same erroneous behavior more than 10 years ago with Quartus 6 or 7, believed it was fixed since long. I started to delete respective comments in sources. 

Apparently too early...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all, 

Thank you very much for the reactions. 

Issue has been raised with SR 13117580. 

If there is news of value for the Forum I will post it on this thread. 

Best Regards, 

Johi.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear All, 

As expected Altera does not take service requests from users not associated with a university or company. 

So, if anybody can raise this issue as a request it might be in the interest of all. 

Best Regards, 

Johi.
0 Kudos