FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

Color Saturation problem in VIP

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i build a design in stratix iii interface with quad video card similar with the cyclone iii video development kit 9.1 available in altera website , but the weird thing is that i able to obtain the image from the input, but the color of the image display on the monitor seem to be Incorrect color palette and yet this affected the details of the image. Any one have encounter this before and any solution to the problem? i am using quartus 9.1sp1. 

attached together is a portable dvd player playback connect to the quad video decoder.  

thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

seem like the output chip is out of timing...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Perhaps you have a color space mismatch. What interfaces are you using? 

For example, if you are using a composite video input, the decoder would typically be giving you YCrCb color. A VGA output is RGB. If you were to go from composite to VGA without a color space conversion, you will get strange results similar to your screen shot.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think that Kevin is correct. You should try the Chroma Resampler to convert this video YPrPb(4:2:2) to RGB (4:4:4). Another possibility is that you have the colour bits pinned out wrong on your output - i.e. less significant bits in the more significant bit positions, possibly in the wrong colour.

0 Kudos