Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Bluetooth Module interfacing using AT Commands with NIOS II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, 

I have a CycloneII DE2 Board. Using NIOS II (Assembly and C), is it possible to interface with a Bluetooth module, say some custom one which I would buy from some vendor, which uses UART and AT Commands (through 20 PINS serial connector) to communicate and send the data over to some other device that uses bluetooth as well? 

Would you suggest any specific modules to buy to achieve this? And any sample codes/tutorials to go through to get me started with this? 

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I used a blueradios module for a short time, it's run through AT commands; I'm not sure I reccommend it, but it sounds like a good place for you to start. Bound to be a few around. Paper support seems ok, human support was less than overwhelming.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the response! 

Any specific model you suggest to start with? Also, is there any NIOS II Assembly code that I can play around with. Or maybe C code, to send the AT command into the module? 

The Bluetooth is optional in the device, so I think a very normal features module would fit for this. 

Thanks again =)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can't specifically remember which module we used, and I don't have access to the design files anymore (different company now), I only remember that it uses the AT command set, over a UART like a telephone line modem (I think: showing my age here) used for communicating with a host PC.  

You should look for old scripts or source code for controlling a modem from a PC; you'll find a way to transfer data through this link, but you have to configure a profile for a bluetooth device first - can't remember which for a bulk data transfer. Once you've achieved this, the wireless part of the chain is transparent, and the whole system can look just like a serial cable connection. 

I think that there are a few other profiles supported by this device, I don't know about the headset or audio bridge profiles, there is some information in their documentation, but they expect you to have a reasonable knowledge. I think that this device is targeting wired serial cable replacement applications. Read up on the AT command set, and on bluetooth profiles first.  

You will probably find comparable devices once you start looking that are better. Sorry i can't help much more than that! Good luck.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi can you help me out with how to read the data from UART, i tryed interfacing GSM modem to niso through UART i'm able to send the AT commands to UART but i'm not able to read the reply from the GSM from UART in NIOS what whould be the proble... can any one help me out 

thanks in advance
0 Kudos