Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

Zero setup relationship in source synchronous output?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Today I'm studying AN433 - "Constraining and Analyzing Source-Synchronous Interfaces", and found that the lauch edge and latch edge is the same in Figure 18. Thus we get a '0' setup relationship?  

As I know, the latch edge is the next edge after the lauch edge generally. How can I understand this?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't like the "system-centric method", but... 

In this example your launch clock and latch clock are edge aligned. If the skew is 0, then your clock and data arrive at the destination register at the same time, which is a failure. So there are two choices, either delay the data 90 degrees(in which case you would be shooting for the next latch edge, and your setup would be the next edge like you expect). But it's just as acceptable to delay the clock by 90 degrees, in which case your launch clock and latch clock are the same. For source-synchronous outputs, don't think in traditional terms, as your system rate works best when your clock and data lines are evenly matched.  

I'm not doing justice. I posted a document on source-synchronous timing on this forum. Let me know if you can't find it. (I think it's easier, but I'm also obviously biased...)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your reply. I found a file "ConstrainingSourceSynchDDR_forum.zip" written by you in this forum, do you mean this one? I'll study it.

0 Kudos