Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

VHDL Protected type help

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone,.. 

I'm new in VHDL and FPGA, sorry for my lame question. 

Here I have a project, and I thing I will need to use shared variable, here is the code I made : 

--- Quote Start ---  

library ieee; 

use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; 

-- Shared Function 

package shared_function is 

type sh_data is protected  

procedure reset; 

procedure set(signal new_data : std_logic); 

impure function get_data return std_logic; 

end protected sh_data; 

end shared_function; 

package body shared_function is 

type sh_data is protected body 

variable data : std_logic; 

procedure reset is 

begin 

data := '0'; 

end reset; 

procedure set(signal new_data : std_logic) is 

begin 

data := new_data; 

end procedure; 

impure function get_data return std_logic is 

begin 

return data; 

end function; 

end protected body sh_data; 

end shared_function; 

--- Quote End ---  

When I perform "Start Compilation" or "Analyze Current File" in Quartus II Processing menu, I got these error messages : 

--- Quote Start ---  

Error (10500): VHDL syntax error at shared_function.vhd(6) near text "protected"; expecting "(", or "access", or "array", or "file", or "range", or "record" 

Error (10500): VHDL syntax error at shared_function.vhd(10) near text "protected"; expecting ";", or an identifier ("protected" is a reserved keyword), or "package" 

Error (10523): Ignored construct shared_function at shared_function.vhd(5) due to previous errors 

Error (10500): VHDL syntax error at shared_function.vhd(14) near text "protected"; expecting "(", or "access", or "array", or "file", or "range", or "record" 

Error (10500): VHDL syntax error at shared_function.vhd(31) near text "protected"; expecting ";", or an identifier ("protected" is a reserved keyword), or "package" 

Error: Quartus II Analyze Current File was unsuccessful. 5 errors, 0 warnings 

Error: Peak virtual memory: 185 megabytes 

Error: Processing ended: Mon Mar 22 20:38:45 2010 

Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:07 

Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:01 

--- Quote End ---  

I use Altera Quartus II version 9.1 SP1 Subscription Edition and I have changed the VHDL input to VHDL 2008.  

Really, I don't understand at all, someone help me, please tell me what makes it error, 

Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated... 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

VHDL protected type isn't specified by VHDL 1993, the Quartus supported VHDL version. 

Seriously, I don't see, that it has any relevance for synthesizable logic (neither shared variables have in my opinion), but you may want to explain your intention in this regard.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Mr. FvM 

But I think it's specified in VHDL 2008, and I have change the VHDL input to VHDL 2008 in "Setting -> Analysis & Synthesis -> VHDL input". Is Altera Quartus II really support VHDL 2008? 

I need those function to design somekind of clock detector system, here the explanation : 

--- Quote Start ---  

The system should be able to detect if there is clock feeded to this system and it should be able to detect if that series of clock ended. So I think this system should be able to detect both of rising and falling edge of clock input, and I manage to deal with it using 2 processes, because of I used 2 processes then I need a variable that can be accessed from both processes, and I found shared variable in VHDL 2008 

This is the timing : 

1. ___| | | | | | | | | | | | | | |____ -> 6 MHz clock input 

2. |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| -> 24 Mhz FPGA global clock input 

3. _________________________|___ -> Hi signal for 1 FPGA clock cycle 

say that this system consist of 2 inputs and 1 output, this system should know when there is signal "no 1" as input and after signal "no 1" end, the system will send out a signal "no 3". 

--- Quote End ---  

But no luck, those error message drive me nuts... 

That is my is my intention, thanks for helping me and sorry for my bad explanation,... 

How about that...?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Shared variables and protected types are meant for testbenching, not synthesis. Protected types were introduced in VHDL 2002.  

Origionally shared variables were meant for direct data transfer between processes. They were declared like a signal but worked like a variable. The problem with this is that because they are updated immediatly, they are not safe. Hence the protected types (though to be honest, you really have the same problems). 

Shared variables (of the old type) can be used to model the correct write-before-read behaviour when implying a dual clocked memory, but quartus doesnt actually create the correct altsync ram (Xilinx does though).  

Basically - keep shared variables and protected types away from quartus - keep them in your favourite simulator.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just to add - you might get synthesis to work if you remove all of the protected gubbins from the declaration, but it will probably treat the shared variable like a signal.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Tricky, I have gain more knowledge... :)  

--- Quote Start ---  

basically - keep shared variables and protected types away from quartus - keep them in your favourite simulator. 

--- Quote End ---  

So what is the solution for my problem then? :confused: :confused: :confused:  

And also, how about the error messages? Is that mean that Quartus II doesn't support VHDL 2008 or I just make a mistake somewhere? I still curius about those error messages... 

Thanks...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why cant you just use a signal between the two processes?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hmm,... 

well, I need those two processes to able to write in the (shared) variable or signal, and because signal only can be drived from one process so of course I can't... :D  

or maybe you have an idea regarding my design problem using only a signal? If you really have it, I really appreciate that... 

Thanks... :) :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Then why not combine the two processes? 

you can use shared variables without the protected typing: 

shared variable s : std_logic; 

then you just write to it like any other variable. At the end of the day though, quartus is still going to give you multiple driver errors. 

I get the feeling you're trying to write this code as code, and not thinking about the underlying hardware, which is essential for hardware design. Without the understanding of the hardware, the VHDL will be meaningless when it comes to synthesis.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks Mr. FvM 

But I think it's specified in VHDL 2008, and I have change the VHDL input to VHDL 2008 in "Setting -> Analysis & Synthesis -> VHDL input". Is Altera Quartus II really support VHDL 2008? 

I need those function to design somekind of clock detector system, here the explanation : 

But no luck, those error message drive me nuts... 

That is my is my intention, thanks for helping me and sorry for my bad explanation,... 

How about that...? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

according to your drawing the FPGA global clock (24MHz)is running all the time and you would like to detect whether the other clock (6MHz) is on or not. Is that your intention ? 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Tricky => 

Well, I'm new to FPGA and VHDL so I don't know much about them, I still learning... :)  

--- Quote Start ---  

you can use shared variables without the protected typing: 

shared variable s : std_logic; 

--- Quote End ---  

From what I read from The Designer Guide to VHDL 3rd Edition book, page 589, on the top page, it said that shared variable must be of protected types... how about that? 

--- Quote Start ---  

then you just write to it like any other variable. At the end of the day though, quartus is still going to give you multiple driver errors. 

--- Quote End ---  

But error means can't be synthesize? 

--- Quote Start ---  

I get the feeling you're trying to write this code as code, and not thinking about the underlying hardware, which is essential for hardware design. Without the understanding of the hardware, the VHDL will be meaningless when it comes to synthesis. 

--- Quote End ---  

Well, you got a hit, indeed, I used to play with firmware (C) and computer programming (Java), I need to change my mind set hardware design(FPGA and VHDL)... I found it a bit difficult :D  

Thanks for your advise... I appreciate that... :)  

Pletz =>  

Yes.... It seem you have a good reputation, do you have any idea regarding to my problem?  

Thanks...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

From what I read from The Designer Guide to VHDL 3rd Edition book, page 589, on the top page, it said that shared variable must be of protected types... how about that? 

--- Quote End ---  

This is true, but because it would break a lot of VHDL'93 code (because VHDL 93 allows shared variables the way I showed you) mode compilers just throw a warning rather than an error by default and let you do it (you can change all the pedant settings if you want so it throws an error). 

The basic guide is - dont use shared variables.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeap, do not use shared variables. 

Sometimes, they just do not work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To see, if the 6 MHz clock is toggling, you can use synchronous edge detection. It's easy in this case, because every high or low state of clk6 will be sampled at least once due to the frequency ratio. 

signal clk6_s : std_logic; signal clk6_v : std_logic; signal edge_cnt: integer range 0 to 3; process (clk24) begin if rising_edge(clk24) then clk6_s <= clk6; clk6_v <= clk6_s; if (clk6_s XOR clk6_v) = '1' then -- clock edge detected edge_cnt <= 3; elsif edge_cnt > 0 then edge_cnt <= edge_cnt - 1; if edge_cnt = 1 then -- clock just stopped end if; end if; end if; end process;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Tricky and amilcar => 

--- Quote Start ---  

The basic guide is - dont use shared variables. 

--- Quote End ---  

--- Quote Start ---  

Yeap, do not use shared variables. 

Sometimes, they just do not work. 

--- Quote End ---  

Okay, shared variable should be avoided, thanks for your advice... 

Mr. FvM => 

Your solution seem good, okay let me think and try it... 

Thanks for your help... :) I appreciate that... :)
0 Kudos