Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

How to simulate a differential input driving a PLL?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a differential clock reference driving the pll inside my design. The problem is that I see that the reference clock input to the pll megafunction is single ended. This leads me to believe that I need to infer or instantiate differential input for the clock somehow in my design.  

Is there a way to infer this in verilog? Any other alternatives for me to connect the differential input to the pll clock reference? 

Thank you much in advance. 

-sanjay
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A differential in- or output can be represented by a single port bit in the HDL code. It becomes a differential signal by simply assigning a differential I/O standard in the pin planner or assignment editor.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes! Thanks. I did realized that. Unfortunately, the code base that I had all had _p,_n pair signals. So I thought I'd ask. 

-sanjay
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

the code base that I had all had _p,_n pair signals. 

--- Quote End ---  

Depends on, what's the intended purpose of these signals. There are also special cases where pseudo-differential outputs are utilized. I was talking about the way, differential I/O would be used in reasonable HDL coding. Besides that, you have various other options, e.g. instantiating low-level primitives for differential I/Os and connecting them explicitely. You can find everything in the Quartus software and MegaFunction documentation, if you feel a need to use this stuff.
0 Kudos